Keywords: selection limits, Pietrain, Duroc, selection index of reproductive ability, selection index of fattening traits, multibreed crossing, meat productivity
The aim of the article was to determine genetically and mathematically optimal target standards for pig selection for future generations. To determine minimal selection limits for pigs to obtain high productivity traits. We used common methods of evaluating the reproductive ability of sows, fattening and meat-fat qualities of progeny. Selection indexes were built by the method of standardized deviations according to M. V. Mykhailov. The target selection limits for animals were determined using the table of Le Roy. Selective-genetic parameters were determined by the main traits of reproductive ability, fattening and meat productivity of pigs. Selection indexes were estimated using the weighting coefficients of the traits for each group of pigs, used as a basis for minimal limits at different intensities of selection. The estimation of local progeny by selection indexes allowed ranging them depending on the level of productivity with the consideration of genotype. At 20 % selection, the minimal value of the reproductive ability index for the control group was 238.7 points. The minimal target threshold while selecting sires by the fattening traits of progeny within the 20 % selection was from 50.57 to 255.65 points for different groups. The minimal value of the index of fattening and meat traits was in the range from 270.05 to 606.94 points. The index estimation of pigs during the crossing allowed ranging them by the values of indexes. Minimal limits of selecting animals were determined and the selection of parental pairs with estimated productivity was optimized: in case of 20 % selection by multiple pregnancy with at least 11 animals, the area of loin eye – 30.5 – 44.5 sq.cm. It would be reasonable to select the animals, the productivity of progeny of which is above the determined limit, for further breeding from 238.70 to 606.94 points.
- Krupa, E., Žáková, E., & Krupová, Z. (2015). Evaluation of inbreeding and genetic variability of five pig breeds in Czech Republic. Asian-Australasian journal of Animal Sciences, 28(1), 25. DOI: 10.5713/ajas.14.0251.
- Abell, C. E., Fernando, R. L., Serenius, T. V., Rothschild, M. F., Gray, K. A., & Stalder, K. J. (2016). Genetic relationship between purebred and crossbred sow longevity. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 7(1), 51. DOI: 10.1186/s40104-016-0112-x.
- Alfonso, L. (2018). Impact of incorporating greenhouse gas emission intensities in selection indexes for sow productivity traits. Livestock science, 219, 57–61. DOI: 10.1016/j.livsci.2018.11.016.
- Ali, B. M., Bastiaansen, J. W., de Mey, Y., & Oude Lansink, A. G. (2019). Response to a selection index including environmental costs and risk preferences of producers. Journal of Animal Science. 97(1), 156–171. DOI: 10.1093/jas/sky400.
- Cheng, J., Newcom, D. W., Schutz, M. M., Cui, Q., Li, B., Zhang, H., & Schinckel, A. P. (2018). Evaluation of current United States swine selection indexes and indexes designed for Chinese pork production. The Professional Animal Scientist. 34(5), 474–487. DOI.org/10.15232/pas.2018-01731.
- Getya, A. A. (2010). Zastosuvannya BLUP-metodu pri organіzatsіi otsіnki selektsіinoi tsіnnostі sviney v Ukrainі. Tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva i pererobky produktsii tvarynnytstva – Technology of production and processing of livestock products. Bila Tserkva. 3(72), 52–54 [in Ukrainian].
- Svinarev, I. Yu., & Goncharov, A. Yu. (2011). Analiz vosproizvoditel’nykh kachestv chistoporodnykh svinomatok porody landras i gibridov F1 (iorkshir× landras) [Analysis of the reproductive qualities of purebred sows of the breed Landrace and hybrids F1 (Yorkshire × Landrace). Politematicheskij setevoj jelektronnyj nauchnyj zhurnal Kubanskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta – Political Internet electronic scientific journal of the Kuban State Agrarian University, 70(06). Retrieved from : https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/analiz-vosproizvoditelnyh-kachestv-chistoporodnyh-svinomatok-porody-landras-i-gibridov-f1-yorkshir-landras [in Russian].
- Sheiko, I. P., Vasilyuk, O., loban, N., & Kvashevich, S. M. (2014). Selektsionno-geneticheskie sposoby i metody otsenki otkormochnykh i myasnykh kachestv svinei belorusskoi krupnoi beloi porody [Breeding and genetic methods and methods for evaluating the fattening and meat qualities of pigs of the Belarusian large white breed]. Zootekhnicheskaya nauka Belarusi – Zootechnical science of Belarus. Zhodino, 49, 200 [in Russian].
- Pelikh,V., Ushakova, S., & Pelikh, N. (2019). Index evaluation of pigs and determination of selection limits. Agricultural Science and Practice, 6(1), 67-74. https://doi.org/10.15407/agrisp6.01.067
- Mikhailov, N. V., Kostylev, E. V., Svinarev, I. Yu., & Tret’yakova, O. L. (2013). Primenenie prikladnogo programmnogo obespecheniya v selektsii zhivotnykh [Application software in animal breeding]. Politematicheskij setevoj jelektronnyj nauchnyj zhurnal Kubanskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta – Political Internet electronic scientific journal of the Kuban State Agrarian University, 85(01), Retrieved from : https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/primenenie-prikladnogo-programmnogo-obespecheniya-v-selektsii-zhivotnyh [in Russian].