Keywords: pig breeding, young pigs, slaughter traits, meat, lines
The aim of the research, the results of which are presented in the article, was a comparative study of the slaughter qualities of the leading lines of boars of the Welsh and Landrace breeds of domestic selection. The research was carried out based on the slaughterhouse of FG “Shubske” of Bohodukhiv district of Kharkiv region, based on a breeding breeder for keeping Welsh pigs during 2020. The research was conducted based on traditional approaches. Slaughter was performed at a live weight of 100 kg ± 5%. The slaughter traits were evaluated according to the following traits: the thickness of the lard at different points, the slaughter yield, the length of the half-carcass, the length and width of the bacon half and the area of the muscle cell. According to the results of the assessment of slaughter qualities of young animals, no significant difference between the groups was found. Thus, the average pre-slaughter weight ranged from 98.45-99.40 kg, slaughter weight – 73.80-75.00 kg and, accordingly, slaughter yield – 75.03-75.44%. Such insignificant differences in slaughter yield between different lines of pigs are explained by the fact that both breeds are similar in appearance and level of productivity, are in the same conditions of keeping and feeding (in one farm) and are selected by the same generation principle. Regarding the linear measurements of half-carcasses, the differences between the groups were insignificant, but in terms of the measurements of the bacon half of the Welsh pigs, there were probably different traits in comparison with the Landrace pigs. However, despite the lack of probable differences between the breeds of Landrace and Welsh, the length of the bacon half and the area of the muscular membrane – Landrace were slightly higher than in Welsh. Analysis of fat measurements showed that the differences between the groups were insignificant. At the same time, despite the absence of probable differences between the average breeds (groups IV and VII), animals of groups II and III were marked by slightly leaner carcasses compared to Landrace pigs (p <0.05). The differences between Landrace and Welsh breeds are insignificant in terms of the slaughter qualities of young animals. Probable differences are found only between young animals from individual lines in the Landrace breed and their peers in the Welsh breed. The general level of meat in both breeds is at a high enough level, which indicates the possibility of further use in breeding work with these breeds of all boars evaluated in these studies.
- Zhukorskyi, O. M., & Nykyforuk, O. V. (2013). Haluz svynarstva – realna ta prohnozovana zahroza dlia dovkillia [The pig breeding industry – a real and predicted threat to the environment]. Ahroekolohichnyi zhurnal – Agroecological journal, 3, 102–107 [in Ukrainian].
- Schneider, Uwe A., & Pushpam, K. (2008). Greenhouse gas emission mitigation through agriculture [online]. Choices, 23(1). Retrieved from http:// purl.umn.edu/94500.
- Hladiy, M. V., Polupan, Y. P., Kovtun, S. I., Kuzebnij, S. V., Vyshnevskiy, L. V., Kopylov, K. V., & Shcherbak, О. V. (2018). Naukovi ta orhanizatsiini aspekty rozvedennia, henetyky, biotekhnolohii ta zberezhennia henofondu u tvarynnyttsvi [Scientific and organizational aspects of generation, genetics, reproduction biotechnology and protection of the genofonds in livestock breeding]. Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics. Kyiv, 56, 5–14 [in Ukrainian]. DOI: 10.31073/abg.56.01.
- Vashchenko, O. (2017). Kombinatsiina zdatnist spetsializovanykh porid i typiv svynei v promyslovomu skhreshchuvanni [Сombinational ability of specialized breeds and types of pigs in industrial crossbreeding]. Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics. Kyiv, 53, 84–90 [in Ukrainian]. DOI: 10.31073/abg.53.11
- Khalak, V. I., Hutyi, B. V., Stadnytska, O. I. 2019. Vidhodivelni ta miasni yakosti molodniaku svynei riznoho pokhodzhennia ta intensyvnosti formuvannia u rannomu ontohenezi. [Feeding and meat qualities of young pigs of different origin and intensity of formation in early ontogenesis.]. Naukovyi visnyk LNUVMB imeni S. Z. Gzhytskoho. Seriia : Silskohospodarski nauky – Scientific Bulletin of Lviv University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology named after S. Z. Gzhytsky. Series: Agricultural Sciences. Lviv,21(91), 10–15. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.32718/nvlvet-a9102
- Tserenіuk, O. M., 2010. Modyfikatsiia importnoho henetychnoho materialu v Ukraini [Modification of imported genetic material in Ukraine: monograph]. Instytut tvarynnytstva UAAN. Kharkiv [in Ukrainian].
- Tsereniuk, O. M., Akimov, O. V., Bobrytska, O. M., Khokhlov, A. M., Susol, R. L., Miroshnykova, O. S., Martyniuk, I. M., Palii, A. P., Palii, A. P., & Chalyi, O. I. (2020). Pidvyshchennia henetychnoho potentsialu produktyvnosti v svynarstvi Ukrainy [Increasing the genetic potential of productivity in pig breeding in Ukraine]. Kharkiv [in Ukrainian].
- Dudka, O. I. (2019). Produktyvni yakosti svynei vitchyznianykh porid za riznykh metodiv rozvedennia [Productive qualities of domestic pigs by different breeding methods]. «Naukovyi visnyk «Askaniia-Nova» – Scientific Bulletin “Askania-Nova”. Nova Kahovka : PYEL, 12, 123–133 [in Ukrainian]. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33694/2617-0787
- Topikha, V. S. (2014). Vyvchennia miasnykh yakostei svynei vitchyznianoho ta importnoho henofondu v umovakh promyslovoi tekhnolohii [Study of meat qualities of pigs of domestic and imported gene pool in the conditions of industrial technology.]. Svynarstvo – Swine breeding. Poltava, 65, 59–64 [in Ukrainian].
- Hryshyna, L. P., & Krasnoshchok, O. O. (2019). Miasni yakosti chystoporodnoho, pomisnoho i hibrydnoho molodniaku svynei riznoi intensyvnosti rostu. [Meat qualities of purebred, local and hybrid young pigs of different growth intensity.]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria – Ukrainian Black Sea region agrarian science. Mykolaiv, 3 (103), 98–106 [in Ukrainian].
- Susol, R., & Tatsii, O. (2020). Hospodarsko-korysni oznaky svynei porody pietren v umovakh pivdnia Ukrainy [Economic and useful traits of Pietren pigs in the south of Ukraine.]. Ahrarnyi visnyk Prychornomoria – Agrarian Bulletin of the Black Sea Littoria. Odesa, 96, 96–103. [in Ukrainian]. DOI: 10.37000/abbsl.2020.96.12
- Ibatullin, I. I. (Ed.), & Zhukorskyi, O. M. (Ed.) (2017). Metodolohiia ta orhanizatsiia naukovykh doslidzhen u tvarynnytstvi [Methodology and organization of scientific research in animal husbandry: a tool]. Kyiv : Ahrarna nauka [in Ukrainian].
- Plokhynskyi, N. A. (1969). Rukovodstvo po byometryy dlia zootekhnykov – Livestock guide, Moskva : Kolos [in Russian].
- Baranovskyi, D. I., Khokhlov, A. M., & Hetmanets, O. M. (2017). Byometryia v MS Excel – Biometrics in MS Excel. Kharkív : FLP Brovyn A. V. [in Russian].