Keywords: selection and breeding work, purebred animals, sheep breeds, origin, genealogical lines, meat and wool productivity
The structure of the original producing composition (Austrian, Hungarian, Dutch, French selection) was studied; there were 67 lines with 1718 descendants. It was determined that the progenitors of the factory lines of breeds: Merinolandshafe, Texel, EIle-de-France, Suffolk are removed from their modern descendants for 3-4 generations, and in the Romanov breed for 6-8 generations, and do not have a fixed phenotypic similarity with them. At the same time, specific features of the genealogical structure are characteristic for each line, and the rams and ewe of each separate line do not have established connections with other intra-breeding elements.
In studies conducted in Breeding facility “Zherebkovichi”, the future work with breed merinolandschaf (16 rams) was determined, which will allow to create and test 5 lines in the breed Merinolandshafe of the Belarusian selection. In 7 lines, there is one successor, which is planned to be used for obtaining two-breed ewes, when entering the cross with the ewes of the Ascanian, Precos, and Texel breeds.
When carrying out work in Breeding facility “Vitebsk plempredpriyatie”, 5 lines of Dutch selection were identified in the Texel breed, and 5 lines in the Suffolk breed. In the farm “Willia-agro” of Kobrin district, 10 lines of the Suffolk breed of Belarusian selection are allocated. It is necessary to pay special attention to the possibility of exchanging breeding material between these enterprises during further selection work with the breed.
It is established that according to the characteristics of the origin and expression of the desired type (with improved meat productivity), the animals available in these sheep farms can be used to create breeding groups of sheep of the meat-wool direction of productivity with improved meat qualities.
It was determined that producing rams did not meet the requirements of the standard for breeds of meat and wool direction of productivity according to body weight (minus 2.8-32.8 kg), with the exception of males of the EIle-de-France breed (plus 1.6 kg). The average indicator of body weight of ewes made (67.2±0.64 kg), which exceeds the minimum requirements for breeds by 2.2 kg: Askanian, Ile-de-France, Texel, but lower for Merinolandshafe and Suffolk breeds by 7.8 and 2.8 kg, respectively.
It was determined that the following measurements were found to be the most variable in rams: height at the withers (7.5±0.63 %), girth (7.11±0.60 %) and body weight (16.3±1.38 %). Similar situation is observed for ewes: height at the withers (7.1±0.35 %), girth (8.55±0.42 %) and body weight (13.8±0.67 %). It should be noted that variation ratios are small, they indicate the evenness of the linear measurements of the producing stock, which range within 20.0 %.
- Respublikanskaya programma razvitiya ovtsevodstvana 2013–2015 gg. [The Republican program of development of sheep breeding for 2013-2015 years], Respublikа Belarus. 20.03.2013 [in Russian].
- Kompleks mer po razvitiyu ovtsevodstva v Respublike Belarus’ na 2019-2025 gg. [Set of measures for the development of sheep farming in the Republic of Belarus for 2019-2025 years). Respubliki Belarus 07.08.2019 [in Russian].
- Vineaminov, A. A., & Zhiryakov, A. M. (1980). Metodicheskiye rekomendatsii po izucheniyu produktivnykh i biologicheskikh osobennostey ovets malochislennykh porod i grupp [Methodological recommendations for the study of productive and biological characteristics of sheep of small breeds and groups]. Dubovtsy : VASKHNIL, VNII zhivotnovodstva [in Russian].
- German, Y. I., Gorbukov, M. A., Chavlytko, V. I., Rudak, A. N., & German,A. I. (2019). Zootekhnicheskiye pravila otsenki ovets polutonkorunnykh porod [Livestock valuation rules the sheep, semi–fine breeds]. Zhodino : RUE «Scientific and Practical Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus for Livestock» [in Russian].
- Zootekhnicheskiye pravila o poryadke opredeleniya plemennoy tsennosti zhivotnykh [Zootechnical rules on the procedure for determining the breeding value of animals]. Respublika Belarus, 30.11.2006 [in Russian].
- Zakon Respubliki Belarus’ o plemennom dele v zhivotnovodstve [Law of the Republic of Belarus on breeding in animal husbandry]. Respublika Belarus’ 21.05.2013 [in Russian].
- Kening,, Gutche, Kh., Khoyrikh, Kh., & Kupats, B. (1974). Razvedeniye, kormleniye i soderzhaniye ovets [Sheep breeding, feeding and keeping]. Moscow : Kolo, 133-147 [in Russian].
- German, Y. I., German, A. I., & Sadykov, E. V. (2019). Otsenka proizvodyashchego sostava ovets polutonkorunnykh porod po kompleksu priznakov [Evaluation of the productive structure of semi-fine sheep breeds for a range of symptoms]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 121, 86–93 [in Russian].
- Zavertyayev, B. P. (1983). Kratkiy slovar selektsionno-geneticheskikh terminov v zhivotnovodstve [Short dictionary of breeding and genetic terms in animal husbandry]. Moscow : Rossel’khozizdat [in Russian].
- Rokitskiy, P. F. (1973). Biologicheskayastatistika [Biological statistics]. 3-e izd. Minsk : Vysheyshayashkola [in Russian].
- Lartseva, S. KH., & Muksitov, M. K. (1985). Praktikum po genetike [Workshop on genetics]. Moscow : Agropromizdat [in Russian].
- German, Y. I. (2019). Zootekhnicheskiye pravila otsenki ovets polutonkorunnykh [Livestock valuation rules the sheep, semi-fine breeds]. Zhodino : RUE «Scientific and Practical Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus for Livestock» [in Russian].