Keywords: pigs, sow, reproductive qualities, breeding value, index, variability, correlation, economic efficiency
The article presents the results of research on the reproductive qualities of sows of different breeding value, as well as determines the economic efficiency of their use in the industrial complex. The study was conducted in agricultural formations of the Dnipropetrovsk region (LLC “Druzhba-Kaznacheyivka”, LLC “Vidrodzhennia”) and the laboratory of animal husbandry of the State Institution Institute of Grain Crops NAAS. The work was performed according to the research program of NAAS №30 “Innovative technologies of breeding, industrial and organic production of pig products” (“Pig breeding”).
Evaluation of sows on the grounds of reproductive qualities was carried out taking into account the following indicators: fertility, head; high fertility, kg, number of piglets at weaning, head, nest weight at the time of weaning at the age of 28 days, kg, nest weight at the time of weaning at the age of 60 days (estimated), kg, safety, %. The breeding value of animals was determined by the multiplicity and weight of the nest at the time of weaning (according to Annex 7 of the Instructions for grading pigs) and the selection index of reproductive qualities of sows (SIVYAS). The index of alignment (homogeneity) of the sow’s nest by live weight of piglets at the time of their birth (ІВГ0) was calculated according to the method of V.I. Khalak (2012), the economic efficiency of research results – according to conventional methods. Biometric processing of research results was performed according to the methods of G.F. Lakin (1990).
It was found that sows of the “elite” class were superior to peers of the “extracurricular” class in terms of multiplicity, several piglets at weaning, nest weight at weaning at 28 days and nest weight at weaning at 60 days (estimated) by an average of 28, 76%. The difference between sows of classes M + and M- (distribution class for SIVYAS) in terms of multiplicity, number of piglets at the time of weaning, the weight of the nest at the time of weaning at the age of 28 days and weight of the nest at the time of weaning at the age of 60 days (estimated) is 34.32. 34.78, 27.60 and 28.30 %, respectively. The coefficients of pair correlation between the absolute indicators of reproductive qualities of sows, the index “alignment (homogeneity) of the sow’s nest by live weight of piglets at birth” and the selection index of reproductive qualities of sows (SIVYAS) at 83.33-100.0 % are reliable from -0.446 to +0.989. The criterion for the selection of highly productive animals according to the Instructions for grading pigs is the class “elite”, according to the selection index of reproductive qualities of sows (SIVYAS) – 97.85-123.99 and more points.
The use of sows of the class “elite” and М+ (according to SIVYAS) provides additional products at the level of +11.84 – 16.49 %.
- Schiavo, G., Schiavo, G., Galimberti, G., Calò, D. G., Samorè, A. B., Bertolini, F., Russo, V., Gallo, M., Buttazzoni, L., & Fontanesi, L. (2015).Twenty years of artificial directional selection have shaped the genome of the Italian Large White pig breed. Stichting International Foundation for Animal Genetics, 47, 181–191.
- Akimov, O. V. (2010). Efektyvnist porodno-liniinoi hibrydyzatsii z vykorystanniam zavodskykh linii svynei kharkivskoho typu ukrainskoi m’iasnoi porody [Efficiency of breed-linear hybridization with the use of factory lines of pigs of Kharkiv type of Ukrainian meat breed]. (ExtendedabstractofCandidate’sthesis). Kherson [in Ukrainian].
- Bekenev, V. A. (2007). Selektsiya sviney [Pig breeding]. Novosibirsk : RASKHN SO. [in Russian].
- Bazhov, G. M., & Komlatskiy, V. I. (1989). Biotekhnologiya intensivnogo svinovodstva. [Biotechnology of intensive pig breeding]. Moskva : Rosagropromizdat [in Russian].
- Hetya, A. A. (2009). Orhanizatsiya selektsiynoho protsesu v suchasnomu svynarstvi. [Organization of selection process in modern pig breeding]. Poltava [in Ukrainian].
- Tserenyuk, O. M., Akimov, O. V., & Chalyy, O. I. (2012). Porodno-liniyna hibrydyzatsiya v svynarstvi Kharkivs’koyi oblasti [Breed-linear hybridization in pig breeding of Kharkiv region]. Rozvytok naukovoi spadshchyny profesora M. D. Liubetskoho shchodo rozvedennia i selektsii silskohospodarskykh tvaryn : materialyMizhnarodnoyinaukovoyikonf. – Development of the scientific heritage of Professor M. D. Lyubetsky on breeding and selection of farm animals : Proceedengs of the International Scientific Conference. Kharkiv [in Ukrainian].
- Khalak, V. I. (2015). Nekotoryye selektsionnyye priznaki sviney i ikh otsenka s ispol’zovaniye innovatsionnykh metodov. [Some breeding traits of pigs and their assessment using innovative methods]. Nauchnyyfaktorvstrategiiinnovatsionnogorazvitiyasvinovodstva : . materialvXXIIMezhdunar. nauchn.-praktich. konf. –Scientific factor in the strategy of innovative development of pig breeding : Proceedengs of the XXII Intern. scientific and practical conf. Grodno : GAU, 140–145[in Russian].
- Voloshchuk, V. M., & Khalak, V. I. (2015). Produktyvnist’ svyney riznoyi pleminnoyi tsinnosti ta klasiv rozpodilu za indeksamy O. Vanhena ta A. Sazera, K. Fredina. [Productivity of pigs of different breeding value and distribution classes according to the indices of O. Wangen and A. Sazer, H. Fredin]. Svynarstvo – Swine breeding. / Institute of Pig Breeding and APV NAAS. Poltava, 81–86 [in Ukrainian].
- Kovalenko, T. S. (2011). Udoskonalennya otsinky produktyvnykh i pleminnykh yakostey svyney za selektsiynymy indeksamy [Improving the assessment of productive and breeding qualities of pigs by selection indices]. (Extended abstract of Candidate’s thesis). Poltava [in Ukrainian].
- Vashchenko, P. A. (2010). Vyznachennya pleminnoyi tsinnosti svyney riznymy metodamy. [Determination of breeding value of pigs by different methods]. VisnykahrarnoyinaukyPrychornomor’yBulletin of Agrarian Science of the Black Sea Coast. Mykolaiv, 2, 1(52). Mykolayiv, 77–79 [in Ukrainian].
- Instruktsiya z bonituvannya svyney (2003). Instruktsiya z vedennya pleminnoho obliku u svynarstvi [Instructions for grading pigs. Instructions for keeping breeding records in pig breeding]. Kyiv : PPC “Kyiv University” [in Ukrainian].
- Tserenyuk, O. M., Khvatov, F. I., & Stryzhak, T. A. (2010). Efektyvnist’ selektsiynykh i otsinochnykh indeksiv materyns’koyi produktyvnosti svyney [Efficiency of selection and evaluation indices of maternal productivity of pigs]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science of Ukraine.Kharkiv, 102, 173–183 [in Ukrainian].
- Khalak, V. I. (2009). Adaptatsiya ta vidtvoryuval’na zdatnist’ svynomatok velykoyi biloyi porody riznoho pokhodzhennya [Adaptation and reproductive capacity of sows of large white breed of different origin]. Visnyk Sumskoho natsionalnoho ahrarnoho universytetu. Seriia «Tvarynnytstvo» – Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University. Series “Livestock”, 10 (16), 126–130 [in Ukrainian].
- Sposib vyznachennya vyrivnyanosti hnizda svynomatok: patent 66551 Ukrayina, № u 2011007148; zayavl. 06.06.2011; opubl. 10.01.2012, Byul. №1. The method of determining the alignment of the sow’s nest: patent 66551 Ukraine, № u 2011007148; declared 06.06.2011; publ. 10.01.2012, Bull. №1. [in Ukrainian].
- Metodika opredeleniya ekonomicheskoy effektivnosti ispol’zovaniya v sel’skom khozyaystve rezul’tatov nauchno-issledovatel’skikh rabot, novoy tekhnologii, izobreteniy i ratsionalizatorskikh predlozheniy [Methodology for determining the economic efficiency of the use in agriculture of the results of scientific research, new technology, inventions and rationalization proposals] (1983). Moscow : VAIIPI [in Russian].
- Lakin, G. F. (1990). Biometriya. Biometrics. Moscow : Vysshaya shkola [in Russian].