Keywords: Ukrainian Black-Spotted dairy breed, Montbeliarde bulls, crossbred first-born cows, reproductive ability, safety, average daily milk yield
The article reveals the results of reproductive capacity studies, health and average daily milk yield of first-born cows of the Ukrainian Black-Spotted dairy breed, got from Montbeliarde and Holstein breeding bulls in SE “Kutuzivka”, Kharkiv region. It was found that the age of first fertilization in heifers obtained from bulls of different breeds did not differ and averaged 14.0 months. At the same time, the live weight of daughters obtained from Montbeliarde bulls during the first insemination was 10.9 kg higher than that of daughters obtained from Holstein bulls, which indicates a higher intensity of growth of crossbred heifers. Animals of both breeds had the same age of the first calving (23.0 months), but the live weight of the first-born cows differed significantly. Daughters obtained from Montbeliarde bulls had a live weight 27.3 kg higher than their counterparts obtained from Holstein bulls (P> 0.95). According to the results of studying the safety of daughters of bulls of different breeds, it was found that in the first month of lactation in the herd remained 4 % more crossbred cows than their peers obtained from Holstein bulls, in the second – by 7 %, in the third – by 9 % by 10 % (P> 0.9) and with each month of lactation this percentage increased. Also, crossbred heifers came better in sexual hunting. The average daily milk yield of daughters of Montbeliarde bulls in the first two months of lactation was 2.1 kg and 0.6 kg higher than their counterparts. In the fourth month of lactation, the average daily yield of first-born cows obtained from Holstein bulls increased by 2.8 kg compared with crossbred counterparts (P> 0.95) and further the trend of preference for daily milk yield of first-born daughters of Holstein bulls remained.
- Bashchenko, M. I., Kvasha, M. M., Zhukorskyi, O. M., Kostenko, O. I., Hladii, M. V., Ruban, S. Yu., Kruhliak, A. P., Polupan, Yu. P., Biriukova, O. D., Shablia, V. P., Admina, N. H., Danshyn, V. O., Synytska, O. O., Boiko, O. V., Mitiohlo, L. V., Peredrii, M. M., Tsybenko, V. H., Pasiuta, A. H., Shportiak, A. V., Hrek, V. I. & Perekrestova, A. V. (2017). Suchasnyi svitovyi dosvid mizhporodnoho skhreshchuvannia u molochnomu skotarstvi ta yoho vykorystannia v Ukraini [Modern world experience of interbreeding in dairy farming and its use in Ukraine]. Kyiv : Ahrarna nayka [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Borshch, O. V., Borshch, O. O., Klochkov, V. M., Lysenko,Ye. V., Mitiohlo, L. V., Mitiohlo, I. D. & Perekrestova, A. V. (2017). Suchasni tekhnolohii vyrobnytstva moloka (osoblyvosti ekspluatatsii, tekhnolohichni rishennia, eskizni proekty) [Modern technologies of milk production (features of operation, technological decisions, sketch projects)] Kharkiv: FOP Brovin [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Fedota, O. M., Danshyn, V. O., Mitiohlo, V. O. & Turchyn, V. Ya. Krosbrydynh yak element vysokoproduktyvnoho molochnoho skotarstva (2016). [Crossbreeding as an element of highly productive dairy farming] Biolohiia tvaryn ‑ Animal biology. Lviv, 18, 2, 94–104 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Danshyn, V. O. & Fedota, O. M. (2016). Svitovyi dosvid ta perspektyvy vykorystannia henomnoi selektsii v molochnomu skotarstvi [World experience and prospects for the use of genomic selection in dairy farming] Biolohiia tvaryn ‑ Animal biology. Lviv, 18, 1, 117–125 [in Ukrainian].
- Schaeffer, L., Burnside, E., Glover, P. & Fatehi, J. (2011). Crossbreeding Results in Canadian Dairy Cattle for Production, Reproduction and Conformation. The Open Agriculture Journal, 5, 63‑72 [In English].
- Kruhliak, A. P. (2016). Metodychni osnovy vykorystannia krosbrydynhu v molochnomu skotarstvi [Methodical bases of crossbreeding use in dairy cattle breeding] Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn ‑ Breeding and genetics of animals. Kyiv, 52, 41‑48 [in Ukrainian].
- Bashchenko M. I., Kostenko O. I., Hladii M. V, Ruban S. Yu., Kruhliak A. P., Biriukova O. D., Shablia V. P., Admina N. H., Danshyn V. O., Synytska O. O., BoikoO. V., Fedota O. M., Mitiohlo L. V., Tsybenko V. H., & Perekrestova A. V. (2016). Rekomendatsii shchodo vykorystannia krosbrydynhu dlia pidvyshchennia rivnia konkurentozdatnosti vitchyznianykh molochnykh porid [Recommendations for the use of crossbreeding to increase the level of competitiveness of domestic dairy breeds]. National Academy of Agrarian Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of Animal Breeding and Genetics nd. a. M.V.Zubets NAAS of Ukraine, Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Hazel A. R., Heins B. J., Seykora A. J., & Hansen L. B. (2014). Production, fertility, survival, and body measurements of Montbéliarde-sired crossbreds compared with pure Holsteins during their first 5 lactations.J. Dairy Sci., 97, 4, 2512‑2525 [іn English].
- Hazel A. R., Heins B. J., & Hansen L. B. (2017). Production and calving traits of Montbéliarde × Holstein and Viking Red × Holstein cows compared with pure Holstein cows during first lactation in 8 commercial dairy herds. J. Dairy Sci., 100, 5, 4139–4149 [In English].
- Dezetter C., Leclerc H., Mattalia S., Barbat A., Boichard D., & Ducrocq V. (2015). Inbreeding and crossbreeding parameters for production and fertility traits in Holstein, Montbéliarde, and Normande cows. J. Dairy Sci., 98, 7, 4904‑4913 [іn English].
- Ferris C. P., Heins B. J., & Buckley F. (2014). Crossbreeding in Dairy Cattle: Pros and Cons (2016). WCDS Advances in Dairy Technology., 26, 223–243 [іn English].
- Heins B. J., & Hansen L. B. (2012). Short Communication: Fertility, Somatic Cell Score, and Production of Normande×Holstein, Montbéliarde×Holstein, and Scandinavian Red × Holstein Crossbreds Versus Pure Holsteins During Their First 5 Lactations. J. Dairy Sci., 95, 2, 918–924 [іn English].
- Heins B. J. Hansen L. B., & De Vries А. (2012). Survival, Lifetime Production, and Profitability of Normande × Holstein, Montbéliarde × Holstein, and Scandinavian Red × Holstein Crossbreds Versus Pure Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 95, Is. 2, 1011–1021 [іn English].
- Buckley F. Lopez-Villalobos N., & Heins B. J. (2014). Crossbreeding: Implications for Dairy Cow Fertility and Survival. Animal. 8, 122‑133. [іn English].
- Coffey E. L. Horan B., Evans R. D., & Berry D. P. (2016). Milk Production and Fertility Performance of Holstein, Friesian, and Jersey Purebred Cows and Their Respective Crosses in Seasonal-Calving Commercial Farms. J. Dairy Sci., 99, Is. 7, 5681‑5689 [In English].
- Dezetter C., Leclerc H., Mattalia S., Barbat A, Boichard D, & Ducrocq V. (2015). Inbreding and Crossbreeding parameters for production and fertility traits in Holstein, Montbeliearde and Normande cows. J. Dairy Sci., 98, 4904–4913. [іn English].
- Heins B. J., Hansen L.B., Hazel A.R., Seykora A. J., Johnson D. G., & LinnJ. G. (2012). Short communication: Jersey × Holstein crossbreds compared with pure Holsteins for body weight, body condition score, fertility, and survival during the first three lactations. J. Dairy Sci., 95, Is. 7, 4130–4135. [іn English].