Keywords: proper beekeeping practice, strong healthy family, productivity, quality and product safety
The integration of Ukraine into the EU obliges beekeepers to use advanced beekeeping technologies, because under such conditions they can obtain high-quality products, increase the volume in the season and successfully sell them.The article examines the issue of implementing the principles of proper beekeeping practices and the HACCP system, which will enable the production of high-quality and safe products, using the example of specific apiaries: in the city of Sviatohirsk (140 bee colonies) and in the city of Vovchansk (450 bee colonies).The purpose of the work was to determine the effectiveness of the implementation of proper beekeeping practices in terms of the impact on the state of families, their productivity and livelihoods.The study was conducted in the period 2017–2021. A complex of zootechnical and veterinary sanitary measures was applied in accordance with the season of the year in order to organize general (planned spring and autumn) revisions, as well as to detect the damage of bees by infectious diseases. The data of entries were analyzed in journals relative to the number, strength and availability of fodder in bee colonies during the autumn revision.
It was determined that during the period of implementation of proper beekeeping practices, it was possible to restore the number of families, to ensure their livelihood at a high and medium level, and to increase the productivity of bees.The amount of commercial honey in the apiary in the city of Sviatohirsk in 2019 was 8820±840 kg, in 2020 – 10360±1050 kg, in 2021 – 11209±952 kg, in the city of Vovchansk in 2019 – 35100±2070 kg , 2020 – 40950±2925 kg, 2021 – 45000±3735 kg.In addition, apiary owners received a significant economic effect from the pollination of entomophilous crops, such as rapeseed, sunflower, buckwheat, and forage. The yield of these crops turned out to be 5-6% higher than the average for the studied regions.
The implementation of the principles of proper beekeeping practices and the HACCP system contributed to the maintenance of strong and healthy bee families in apiaries, increased productivity and their preservation, and also made it possible to produce high-quality and safe products.
- General introductory text providing background information for the chapters of the Terrestrial Animal Health Code on diseases of bees (2013) .World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). https:// www.oie.int/en/our-scientific-expertise/specific-information-and-ecommendations/bee-diseases
- Adams, W. M. (2006). “The Future of Sustainability: Re-thinking Environment and Development in the Twenty-first Century.” Conference: IUCN Renowned Thinkers Meeting, UK, 29-31
- Blewitt, J. (2015). Understanding Sustainable Development. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315886459
- FAO and the SDGs Indicators: Measuring up to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.” (2017). FAO http://www.fao.org/policy-support/tools-and-publications/resources-details/en/c/854006/
- FAO. (2020). Good beekeeping practices: Practical manual on how to identify and control the main diseases of the honeybee (Apis mellifera). TECA – Technologies and practices for small agricultural producers. https://doi.org/10.4060/ca9182en
- Jarimi H., Tapia-Brito E., & Riffat S. (2020). A Review on Thermoregulation Techniques in Honey Bees (Apis Mellifera) Beehive Microclimate and Its Similarities to the Heating and Cooling Management in Buildings. Future Cities and Environment. 6 (1). 7, 1–8. http://doi.org/10.5334/fce.81
- FAO. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2006). Honey bee diseases and pests: a practical guide. Agricultural and Food Engineering Technical Report 4, Rome. 42 p. http://www.fao.org/icatalog/inter-e.htm
- Manual of diagnostic tests and vaccines for terrestrial animals (mammals, birds and bees) (2004). World organization for animal health; OIE. II, 2.9. 963 –986.
- Rudenko E. V., Maslii I. G., Nemkova S. N., & Sviridov O. V. (2005). Diagnostika I strategiya osnovnih zahodiv borotbi I likyvannya invasiynih hvorob bdgil: Metodichni vkasivki [Diagnosis and strategy of the main measures to combat and treat invasive diseases of the honey bee: Methodological guidelines] К. : Institute of Experimental and Clinical Veterinary 39 с. [in Ukrainian].
- Rudenko E. V., & Emelyanova N. S., (2015). Pchelovodctvo: prosto I ponyatno. Rucoovodstvo po nadlezhashej pchelovodcheskoj praktike [Beekeeping: simple and clear. Good Beekeeping Practice Guide] GBP – GoodBeekeeping Practice. Х. 75. [in Ukrainian].
- Ritter, W., (2014). Bee health and veterinarians. Paris, World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE). https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/20153038688.