Keywords: Askanian breed, Taurian breed, live weight, crossbreeding, shearing, washed wool yield, wool sorting, ecological and technological conditions, Charolais breed
The study was conducted during 2013-2021 in the breeding breeder LLC “Agrofirma” Mayak “Kotelevsky district of Poltava region.
Comparing the indicators of animals according to estimates in 2013 with the current herd, it was found that the group of live weight differs by only 1.4%. Rams of the modern herd exceed by 13.1% on this basis, and adult broods are inferior by 20.7%. The latter is a consequence of the intensive use of the main rams due to their use during the 6-month breeding cycle currently used on the farm. The wool productivity of the modern herd is 20.9% higher than that of the original herd. The shearing of unwashed wool in broodstock decreased by 15.1%, and in the other group – on the contrary, increased by almost 40%. The latter is a consequence of higher selection pressure in the formation of the group of broodstock at the present stage of work with the herd, compared to the previous period. No significant differences in the length of wool in sheep of different groups for the compared period were found.
Depending on the age at grading, the indicators of the live weight of bright TTAs differed significantly. Animals born in March predominated both juniors (12-13 months old, born in April-May) by 2.2 and 10.1%, and older (15 months old) by 2.6%. At the same time, the brightness of the modern herd as a whole is 16.6% higher than the live weight of peers who were raised before the purchase in the maternal herd – breeding farm LLC”Askaniyske”.
In terms of unwashed wool shearing, the predominance was for the oldest animals (15 months old, born in February) by 13.5-24.2%. It was found that the indicators of live weight and shearing of unwashed wool local bright ½ TTAs x ½ W predominated purebred peers by 7.8 kg (14.5%). The difference in live weight compared to purebred animals of the Taurian type of Askanian breed, which lambed at 15 months of age was 7.2 kg, or 13.1% (p≤0.01), and between non-lambing peers – 9, 7 kg (16.8%). There was no difference in the shearing of unwashed wool and the length of the staple.
- Antonets, O. H. & Kravchenko, A. F. (2015). Produktyvnist pereiarok tavriiskoho typu riznykh linii [Productivity of taurians of Taurian type of various lines]. Vivcharstvo i kozivnytstvo [Sheep and goat breeding]. Nova Kakhovka: Piel, 147–153 [in Ukrainian].
- Bakai, O., Horb, K. & Vovchenko, B. (2020) Formuvannia m’iasnoi produktyvnosti molodniaku ovets askaniiskoi tonkorunnoi porody [Formation of meat productivity of young Askani sheep of fine-wooled breed] Tavriiskyi naukovyi visnyk [Taurian Scientific Bulletin].Kherson, Retrieved from http://dspace.ksau.kherson.ua/handle/123456789/5611 [in Ukrainian].
- Zaruba, K.V. & Drozd, S. L. (2017). Rezultaty vykorystannia miasnykh henotypiv na vivtsiakh askaniiskoi porody [The results of the use of meat genotypes in Ascanian sheep]. Naukovyi visnyk Naukovyi visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu bioresursiv i pryrodokorystuvannia Ukrainy. Seriia «Tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva i pererobky produktsii tvarynnytstva» [National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine Series «Technology of production and processing of livestock products»]. Kyiv, 271. 95–102 [in Ukrainian].
- Zaruba, K. V. & Drozd, S. L. (2018). Miasna produktyvnist molodniaku za promyslovoho skhreshchuvannia ovets askaniiskoi tonkorunnoi porody z miasnymy henotypamy [Meat productivity of young animals by industrial crossing of Askanian fine-wooled sheep with meat genotypes]. Vivcharstvo i kozivnytstvo [Sheep and goat breeding].Nova Kakhovka : Piel,39–47 [in Ukrainian].
- Zaruba, K. V., Drozd, S. L. & Hladii, I. A. (2019). Rezul’taty skreshhivanija baranov-proizvoditelej zarubezhnoj selekcii s ovcematkami askanijskoj tonkorunnoj porody [The results of crossing sheep-producers of foreign selection with ewes of Askanian fine-wooled breed]. Vivcharstvo i kozivnytstvo [Sheep and goat breeding].Nova Kakhovka : Piel,34–42 [in Russian].
- Mashner, O. A. & Lyutskanov, P. I. (2019). Miasna produktyvnist pomisnykh yahniat riznykh henotypiv [Meat Productivity of Crossbred lambs of various genotypes] Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn [Animal Breeding and Genetics].Kyiv, 57, 95–101. doi: https://doi.org/10.31073/abg.57.12
- Merkur’eva, E. K. (1970). Biometrija v selekcii i genetike sel’skohozjajstvennyh zhivotnyh [Biometrics in Breeding and Genetics of Farm Animals]. Moscow: Kolos, 378–392. [in Russian].
- Nezhlukchenko, N. V. (2015). Vidtvoriuvalni yakosti ovets tavriiskoho typu askaniiskoi tonkorunnoi porody zalezhno vid pokhodzhennia [Adopted quality sheep of the Taurian type of the Askan fine-fleece breed are fallen off the shelf.]. Visnyk Sumskoho natsionalnoho ahrarnoho universytetu. Seriia «Tvarynnytstvo» [Bulletin of the Sumy National Agrarian University. «Livestock» series]. Sumy, 2(27), 175–179 [in Ukrainian].
- Pomitun, I. A., Kosova, N. O., Riazanov, P. O., Boiko, N. V. & Kravtsov, A. V. (2013). Produktyvnist ovets riznykh henotypiv, oderzhanykh na promizhnomu etapi stvorennia tvaryn spetsializovanoho m’iasnoho typu [Productivity of sheep of different genotypes obtained at the intermediate stage of creation of animals of specialized meat type]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN [The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine].Khakiv, 109. 142–146 [in Ukrainian].
- Pokhyl, V. I., Pokhyl, O. M., Linskyi, O. V. & Holynska, O. Yu. (2017). Promyslove skhreshchuvannia u vivcharstvi za uchasti porody sharole. Naukovyi visnyk Natsionalnoho universytetu bioresursiv i pryrodokorystuvannia Ukrainy: Seriia «Tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva i pererobky produktsii tvarynnytstva» [Scientific Bulletin of the National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine: Series “Technology of production and processing of livestock products”]. Kyiv, 271, 148–157 [in Ukrainian].