Keywords: Ukrainian Red-and-White dairy breed, Montbeliarde bulls, Crossbred first calving cows, Reproductive ability, Stayability, Milk yield, Milk quality
The article presents the results of studies of reproductive performance, safety and average daily milk yield of first-calf cows of the Ukrainian Red-and-White dairy breed, obtained from the Montbeliard and Holstein sire bulls in the SE “Gontarivka”, Kharkiv region.
It was found that the weight at the first fertilization in heifers obtained from bulls of different breeds did not practically differ, and averaged 470 kg. At the same time, the age of the first insemination and calving of the daughters obtained from the Montbeliard bulls was significantly less than of the daughters obtained from the Holstein bulls, which indicates a greater intensity of growth of crossbred heifers.
The average daily milk yield of daughters of Montbeliard breed bulls for the first two months of lactation was 1.6 kg and 0.5 kg less than that of their counterparts. In the third month of lactation, the average daily milk yield of first calving cows obtained from Holstein bulls became 0.2 kg less than that of crossbred ones, and later this trend of the advantage in daily milk yield of the daughters of Holstein bulls continued.
For 8 months of lactation, the milk yield of the daughters of the Montbeliard bulls was slightly less by 201.4 kg than their peers. There were no significant differences in the content of fat, protein and the somatic cells count.
- Ruban, S. Yu., Borshch, O. V., Borshch, O. O., Klochkov, V. M., Lysenko, Ye. V., Mitiohlo, L. V., Mitiohlo, I. D. & Perekrestova, A. V. (2017). Suchasni tekhnolohii vyrobnytstva moloka (osoblyvosti ekspluatatsii, tekhnolohichni rishennia, eskizni proekty) [Modern technologies of milk production (features of operation, technological decisions, sketch projects)] Kharkiv: FOP Brovin [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Fedota, O. M., Danshyn, V. O., Mitiohlo, V. O. & Turchyn, V. Ya. Krosbrydynh yak element vysokoproduktyvnoho molochnoho skotarstva (2016). [Crossbreeding as an element of highly productive dairy farming]. Biolohiia tvaryn ‑ Animal biology. Lviv, 18, 2, 94–104 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Danshyn, V. O. & Fedota, O. M. (2016). Svitovyi dosvid ta perspektyvy vykorystannia henomnoi selektsii v molochnomu skotarstvi [World experience and prospects for the use of genomic selection in dairy farming]. Biolohiia tvaryn ‑ Animal biology. Lviv. 18, 1, 117–125 [in Ukrainian].
- Schaeffer, L., Burnside, E., Glover, P. & Fatehi, J. (2011). Crossbreeding Results in Canadian Dairy Cattle for Production, Reproduction and Conformation. The Open Agriculture Journal. 5, 63‑72.
- Kruhliak, A. P. (2016). Metodychni osnovy vykorystannia krosbrydynhu v molochnomu skotarstvi [Methodical bases of crossbreeding use in dairy cattle breeding] Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn ‑ Breeding and genetics of animals. 52, 41‑48 [in Ukrainian].
- Bashchenko, M. I., Kostenko, O. I., Hladii, M. V, Ruban, S. Yu., Kruhliak, A.P., Biriukova, O. D., Shablia, V. P., Admina, N. H., Danshyn, V. O., Synytska, O. O., Boiko,O. V., Fedota, O. M., Mitiohlo, L. V., Tsybenko, V. H., & Perekrestova, A. V. (2016). Rekomendatsii shchodo vykorystannia krosbrydynhu dlia pidvyshchennia rivnia konkurentozdatnosti vitchyznianykh molochnykh porid [Recommendations for the use of crossbreeding to increase the level of competitiveness of domestic dairy breeds]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Ferris, C. P., Heins, B. J., & Buckley, F. (2014). Crossbreeding in Dairy Cattle: Pros and Cons (2016).WCDS Advances in Dairy Technology. 26, 223–243.
- Heins, B. J., Hansen, L. B. (2012). Short Communication: Fertility, Somatic Cell Score, and Production of Normande×Holstein, Montbéliarde×Holstein, and Scandinavian Red × Holstein Crossbreds Versus Pure Holsteins During Their First 5 Lactations. J. Dairy Sci. 95, 2, 918–924.
- Heins, B. J., Hansen, L. B., & De Vries, А. (2012). Survival, Lifetime Production, and Profitability of Normande × Holstein, Montbéliarde × Holstein, and Scandinavian Red × Holstein Crossbreds Versus Pure Holsteins.J. Dairy Sci. 95, is. 2, 1011–1021.
- Buckley, F., Lopez-Villalobos, N., & Heins, B. J. (2014). Crossbreeding: Implications for Dairy Cow Fertility and Survival. Animal. 8, 122‑133.
- Coffey, E. L., Horan, B., Evans, R. D., & Berry, D. P. (2016). Milk Production and Fertility Performance of Holstein, Friesian, and Jersey Purebred Cows and Their Respective Crosses in Seasonal-Calving Commercial Farms. J. Dairy Sci. 99, 7, 5681‑5689.
- Dezetter, C., Leclerc, H., Mattalia, S., Barbat, A, Boichard, D, & Ducrocq, V. (2015). Inbreding and Crossbreeding parameters for production and fertility traits in Holstein, Montbeliearde and Normande cows. J. Dairy Sci., 98, 4904–4913.
- Hazel, A. R., Heins, B. J., Seykora, A. J., & Hansen, L. B. (2014). Production, fertility, survival, and body measurements of Montbéliarde-sired crossbreds compared with pure Holsteins during their first 5 lactations. J. Dairy Sci., 97, 4, 2512–2525.
- Coffey, E. L. Horan, B., Evans, R. D., & Berry, D. P. (2016). Milk Production and Fertility Performance of Holstein, Friesian, and Jersey Purebred Cows and Their Respective Crosses in Seasonal-Calving Commercial Farms. J. Dairy Sci., 99, 7, 5681‑5689.
- Hazel, A. R., Heins, B. J., & Hansen, L. B. (2017). Fertility, survival, and conformation of Montbéliarde × Holstein and Viking Red × Holstein crossbred cows compared with pure Holstein cows during first lactation in 8 commercial dairy herds. J. Dairy Sci., 100, 11, 9447-9458.
- Buckley, F., Lopez-Villalobos, N., & Heins, B. J. (2014). Crossbreeding: implications for dairy cow fertility and survival. Animal, 8, 1, 122–133.
- Heins, B. J., Hansen, L. B., & De Vries, A. (2012). Survival, lifetime production, and profitability of crossbreds of Holstein with Normande, Montbéliarde, and Scandinavian Red compared to pure Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci., 95, 2, 1011–1021.
- Penasa, M., Lopez-Villalobos, N., Evans, R. D., Cromie, A. R., Dal Zotto, R., & Cassandro, M. (2010). Crossbreeding effects on milk yield traits and calving interval in spring-calving dairy cows. Animal Breeding and Genetics, 127, 4, 300–307.
- Coffey, E. L., Horan, B., Evan, R. D., Pierce, K. M., & Berry, D. P. (2014). Production performance of Holstein-Friesian, Jersey and Holstein-Friesian×Jersey cows in the Irish dairy herd. In proceedings of the Agricultural Research Forum, Tullamore Court Hotel, Tullamore, Co. Offaly, 10 and 11 March 2014.
- Wall, E., Brotherstone, S., Kearney, J. F.,Woolliams, J. A., & Coffey, M. P. (2005). Impact of nonadditive genetic effects in the estimation of breeding values for fertility and correlated traits. J. Dairy Sci., 88, 376–385.