Keywords: pig breeding, sows, reproductive capacity, average weight of newly born piglets, birth-weight indicator, coefficients of phenotype consolidation, seasons, age of animals
The aim of the research was to study the effect of sow and boar age on average weight of newly born piglets, considering the season of the year and the age of the animals. The studies were conducted in the research farm of SE “Gontarivka”, Volchansky district, Kharkiv region. Natural breeding of sows is used for reproduction on the farm. The insemination of sows was carried out according to the scheme of studies. 35 head of sows and 4 boars of different ages and live weights were selected. Four groups of sows were formed. In order to study the impact of the season of the year on sow productivity, the first series of studies were conducted in the autumn, the second series – in the spring according to the same scheme.
In different groups of animals, average weight of newly born piglets ranged from 1.10 to 1.21 kg. The average value of this indicator for all sows for both studied seasons was 1.16 kg. The magnitude (for all sows of the period) in winter farrowing was 1.74 % higher than the summer farrowing (for all sows of the period), although the difference between these groups was not probable. Between the sows of different ages, inseminated by boars of different ages, in winter, the higher values were given to young sows that were inseminated by young boars (p<0.01 compared to young sows that were inseminated by full-grown boars). Among the sows of different ages, inseminated by boars of different ages, in the summer, the highest values were middle-aged, which were inseminated by middle-aged boars (p<0.01 compared to young sows in winter, inseminated by full boars and p<0.05 compared to young sows in summer, which were inseminated by adult boars). During the summer period the middle-aged sows, which were inseminated by middle-aged boars, received maximum values of average weight of newly born piglets, which were higher than sows of other groups by 10.00-0.83 %.
The most consolidated high-birth-weight rates were obtained in winter for young sows that were inseminated by adult boars. In the summer, the most consolidated were young sows inseminated by young boars.
- Zhukorskyi, M., &Nykyforuk, O. V. (2013). Haluz svynarstva – realna ta prohnozovana zahroza dlia dovkillia [The pig breeding industry – a real and predicted threat to the environment]. Ahroekolohichnyy zhurnal. 3, 102–107 [in Ukrainian].
- Schneider, Uwe A., & Pushpam,(2008). Greenhouse gas emission mitigation through agriculture [online] Choices. 23 (1). Retrieved from : http:// purl.umn.edu/94500 [Accessed 01 December 2019].
- Hladiy, M. V., Polupan, Y. P., Kovtun, S. I., Kuzebnij, S. V., Vyshnevskiy, V., Kopylov, K. V., Shcherbak О. V. (2018). Scientific and organizational aspects of generation, genetics, reproduction biotechnology and protection of the genofonds in livestock breeding. Animal Breeding and Genetics, 56, 5–14. DOI: 10.31073/abg.56.01.
- Vashchenko, O. (2017). Kombinatsiina zdatnist spetsializovanykh porid i typiv svynei v promyslovomu skhreshchuvanni. Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn Kombinatsiyna zdatnist` spetsializovanykh porid i typiv svyney v promyslovomu skhreshchuvanni. Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn – Animal Breeding and Genetics. Kyiv, 53, 84–90. DOI: 10.31073/abg.53.11 [in Ukrainian].
- Khramkova, О. М. (2019). Vidtvoriuvalni yakosti svynomatok za riznykh poiednan porid i typiv [Reproductive qualities of sows in different combinations of breeds and types]. Theoretical and Applied Veterinary Medicine, 7(2), 115–119. DOI32819/2019.71021, [in Ukrainian].
- Tsereniuk, O. M., Akimov, O. V., Shkavro, N. V. & Chereuta, YU. V. (2019). Indeksy budovy tila dvoporodnykh remontnykh svynok ta svynomatok [Body structure indices for two-offspring pigs and ]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 122, 248–257. DOI 10.32900/2312-8402-2019-122-248-257 [in Ukrainian].
- Martinyuk, І. М., Tsereniuk, O. M., & Akimov, O. V. (2019). Indeksy budovy tila dvoporodnykh remontnykh svynok ta svynomatok [Fertilization and multiplicity of sows depending on the frequency of insemination at different times of the year]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 156–162. DOI 10.32900/2312-8402-2019-121-156-162 [in Ukrainian].
- Tsereniuk, O., Susol, R., Bordun, O., Paliy, A., Shkromada, O., Akimov, O., & Tsereniuk, M. (2019). Dependence of sows` phenotypic consolidation of productivity on the reason of their culling due in index selection. Porc Res. 9(1), 15–20.
- Tsereniuk,, Tsereniuk, M., Akimov, O., Paliy, A., Nanka, O., Shkromada, O., & Pomitun, I. (2018). Dependence of sows’ productivity on the reason of their culling, in index selection. Porc Res. 8(1), 17–23.
- Khalak, V., Gutyj, B., & Stadnits’ka, O. (2019). Vidhodivelni ta m’iasni yakosti molodniaku svynei riznoho pokhodzhennia ta intensyvnosti formuvannia u rannomu ontohenezi[Fattening and meat qualities of young pigs of different origin and intensity of formation in early ontogenesis]. Naukovyi visnyk Lvivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu veterynarnoi medytsyny ta biotekhnolohii im. S. Z. Gzhytskoho. Seriia: Silskohospodarski nauky – Scientific Bulletin of Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology. S. Z. Gzhytsky. Series: Agricultural Sciences, 21(91), 10– DOI 10.32718/nvlvet-a9102 [in Ukrainian].
- Hanenberg, E. H. A. T., Knol, E. F. & Merks, J. W. M. (2001). Estimates of genetic parameters for reproduction traits at different parities in Dutch Landrace pigs. Livestock Production Science, 69(2), 179–186. DOI 10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00258-X
- Kramarenko, S. S., Kramarenko, O. S., Luhovyy, S. I., Lykhach, A. V. & Lykhach, YA. (2019). Analiz holovnykh komponent (PCA) oznak vidtvorennia svynomatok velykoi biloi porody [Principal Component Analysis (PCA) of sows reproduction of Large White breed]. Bulletin of Agrarian Science of the Black Sea Coast – Ukrainian Black Sea region agrarian science. Mykolaiv, 2, 75–81. DOI 10.31521/2313-092X/2019-2(102) [in Ukrainian].
- Kopytets, N. H.(2018). Suchasnyi stan ta tendentsii rozvytku rynku svynyny v Ukraini [The current state and tendencies of pork market development in Ukraine]. Ekonomika APK – Economics of agro-industrial complex, 11, 44–54. DOI https://doi.org/10.32317/2221-201811044 [in Ukrainian].
- Rukavytsya, A. A. (2016). Analiz vplyvu vykorystannia selektsiinykh (otsinochnykh) indeksiv u yakosti kryteriiv vidboru na vidtvoriuvalni yakosti svynomatok ukrainskoi m’iasnoi porody [Analysis of the influence of the use of breeding (evaluation) indices as selection criteria on reproductive qualities of sows of Ukrainian Meat breed]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyy byuleten` IAS NAAS – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine, 115, 195–202, [in Ukrainian].
- Tsereniuk, O. M., Khvatov, A. I., Stryzhak, T. A. & Kovalenko, V. P. (2010). Obiektyvna otsinka materynskoi produktyvnosti svynei [Objective evaluation of maternal pig productivity]. Tavriys`kyy naukovyy visnyk – Taurian Scientific Bulletin, 69, 112–126 [in Ukrainian].
- Kovalenko, T. S., & Surzhenko, M. V. (2013). Vyvchennia typiv uspadkuvannia polihennykh oznak produktyvnosti svynei [Study of types of inheritance of polygenic features of pig productivity]. Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University. Series: Livestock – Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University. Series: Livestock. Sumy, 1, 76–78 [in Ukrainian].
- Young, L. D., Pumfrey, R. A., Cunningham, P. J., & Zimmerman, D. R. (1978). Heritabilities and genetic and phenotypic correlations for prebreeding traits, reproductive traits and principal components. Journal of Animal Science, 46(4). pp. 937-949. DOI 10.2527/jas1978.464937x
- Fahmy, M. H., & Bernard, C. S. (1972). Interrelations between some reproductive traits in swine. Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 52(1), 39–45. DOI 10.4141/cjas72-004.
- Biensen, N. J., Haussmann, M. F., Lay, D. C., Christian, L. L., & Ford, S. P. (1999). The relationship between placental and piglet birth weights and growth traits. Animal Scienc., 68(4), 709–715. DOI 10.1017/S1357729800050736
- Kramarenko, S. S., Luhovyi, S. I., Lykhach A. V., Kramarenko O. S., Lykhach V. Ya., Kramarenko S. S., & Kramarenko A. S. (2018). Porivnialnyi analiz vidtvoriuvalnykh oznak ta klasternyi analiz svynei riznykh porid [Comparative analysis of reproductive traits and cluster analysis of pigs of different breeds]. Naukovyi visnyk Livivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu veterynarnoi medytsyny i biotekhnolohii S. Hzhytskoho – Scientific Bulletin of Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology. S. Z. Gzhytsky. Series: Agricultural Sciences. Lviv, 20 (84), 21–26. DOI 10.15421/nvlvet8404, [in Ukrainian].
- Martyniuk, I. M., & Buhrov, O. D. (20-15). Vplyv viku svynomatok i knuriv porody uels i ukrainska m’iasna na vykhid porosiat v hnizdi [Influence of the age of sows and boars of the breed of Welsh and Ukrainian Meet on the output of piglets in the litter]. Svynarstvo – Pig breeding. Poltava : Institute of Pig Breeding and APV NAAS, 67, 103–106 [in Ukrainian].
- Ibatullin I. I., & Zhukorskyi, O. M.(Е) (2017). Metodolohiya ta orhanizatsiya naukovykh doslidzhen` u tvarynnytstvi: posib [Methodology and organization of scientific research in animal husbandry: a tool]. Kyiv: Ahrarna nauka [in Ukrainian].
- Polupan, Yu. P. (1996). Otsenka stepeni fenotipicheskoy konsolidatsii genealogicheskikh grupp zhivotnykh [Assessment of the degree of phenotypic consolidation of genealogical groups of animals]. Zootekhniia – Zootechnics, 10, 13–15 [in Russian].
- Plokhinskiy, N. A. (1969). Rukovodstvo po biometrii dlya zootekhnikov – Biometrics Guide for Livestock Specialists. Moscow : Kolos [in Russian].
- Baranovskyi, D. I., Khokhlov, A. M., & Getmanets, O. M. (2017). Biometriya v MS Excel [Biometry in MS Excel]. Kharkív : FLP Brovin A. V. [in Russian].