Keywords: SNP, RYR1, ESR1, PRLR, PCR-RFLP, Ukrainian Large White breed
Marker-Assisted Selection is getting increasing attention in Ukrainian animal breeding as an effective tool for choosing animals with desirable traits. Identification of molecular markers which are related to major genes is a promising approach for improving economic traits and has to be checked for further gene-trait associations. Single nucleotide polymorphisms are genetic markers that can be associated with production traits. SNP genotyping has to be done additionally for each breed to see if they are polymorphic and have significant associations with certain traits. Among the candidate genes that influence the expression of productive traits, special attention is drawn to RYR1, ESR1 and PRLR genes. Gene RYR1 is associated with muscle hypertrophy and other meat quality defects in pigs. ESR1 and PRLR genes influence reproduction and affect the litter size in pigs.
SNPs RYR1 g.1843 C>T, ESR1 SNP c.1227 C>T and PRLR g. 1789 G>A have been receiving increasing attention as potential markers for improving quality and pig performance traits. This study investigated the allele variants in three genes (RYR1, ESR1 and PRLR) in Ukrainian Large White pigs of different inside breed types (ULW-1 and ULW-2). The study was performed on 200 pigs. Genotyping was performed using PCR–RFLP method. SNP RYR1 g.1843 C>T was not polymorphic in ULW-1 and ULW-2 inside breed types, when ESR1 SNP c.1227 C> T and PRLR g. 1789 G>A were highly polymorphic. SNPs in ESR1 and PRLR genes had high PIC and χ2 values which indicates the relevance of further associative studies in ULW-1 and ULW-2. Informativeness of the genetic markers in ESR1 and PRLR genes was optimal for associative studies in Ukrainian Large White pig breed of first and second inside breed type.
- Munoz, G., Ovilo, C., Estelle, J., Silio, L., Fernandez, A., & Rodriguez, C. (2007). Association with litter size of new polymorphisms on ESR1 and ESR12 genes in a Chinese-European pig line. Genet Selection and Evolution, 39, 195– DOI 10.1186/1297-9686-39-2-195
- Peakall, R., & Smouse, P. (2006). GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology, 6, 288–95. DOI : 1111/ j.1471-6.2005.01155.x
- Shen, X., Li, M., Wang, Y., Chen, Y., Lin, Y., Zhao, Z., & Que, T. (2017). Comparison of MPure-12 Automatic Nucleic Acid Purification and Chelex-100 Method. Fa Yi Xue Za Zhi. № P.168–170. DOI 10.3969/j.issn.1004-5619.2017.02.013
- Stinckens, A., Maagdenberg, K., Luyten, T., Georges, M., & Smet, S. (2007). The RYR11843C>T mutation is associated with the effect of the IGF2 intron 3 g. 3072 G>A mutation on muscle hypertrophy. Animal genetics. № 38. P. 67–71. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2052.2006.01558.x
- Tomas, A., Casellas, J., Ramirez, O., Munoz, G., Noguera, J., & Sanchez, A. (2006). High amino acid variation in the intracellular domain of the pig prolactin receptor (PRLR) and its relation to ovulation rate and piglet survival traits. Journal of Animal Science, 84, 1991–19 DOI : 10.2527/jas.2005-664
- Vehovsky, K., Zadinova, K. Stupka, R., Cítek, J., Okrouhla, M., Lebedova,, & Sprysl, M. (2019). Effect of the Ser638Arg variation in the cast gene and causal SNP g.1843C>T in the RYR1 gene on carcass traits in crosbreed pigs. Genetika, 51, 61–68. DOI 10.2298/GENSR1901061V
- Wakchaure, R., Ganguly, S., Praveen, K., Avinash, S., & Subhash, M. (2015). Marker Assisted Selection (MAS) in Animal Breeding: A Review. Journal of Drug Metabolism and Toxicology, 6, 1– DOI 10.4172/2157-7609.1000e127
- Wendt, M., Bickhardt, K., Herzog, A., Fischer, A., Martens, H., & Richter, T. (2000). Porcine stress syndrome and PSE meat: Clinical symptoms, pathogenesis, aetiology and aspects of animal welfare. Berliner und Münchener tierärztliche Wochenschrift, 113, 173–190
- Zhang, D., & Liu, D. (2010). Polymorphism of the ESR1α, PRLR, LHβ and RYR1 Genes in the Four Pig Populations. J. of Applied Animal Research., 38, 73–76
- Vashchenko, P. A. (2004). Vyvchennia miaso-salnykh yakostei svynei velykoi biloi porody pry poiednanni henotypiv vitchyznianoi ta zarubizhnoi selektsii [Study of meat and fat qualities of Large White pig breed with a combination of genotypes of domestic and foreign selections]. Visnyk Poltavskoi Derzhavnoi Ahrarnoi Akademii. Poltava, 1, 86–88 [in Ukrainian].