Keywords: young pigs, breed, fattening and meat qualities, index, economic efficiency, variability, correlation
The results of research of fattening and meat qualities of young pigs of Large White breed of different interbreeding differentiation on some integrated indicators are presented, the level of correlations between traits and economic efficiency of research results is calculated.
The experimental part of the work was performed in the agricultural formations of the Dnipropetrovsk region and the laboratory of animal husbandry of the State Institution “Institute of Grain Crops of NAAS of Ukraine. Evaluation of young pigs for fattening and meat qualities was carried out taking into account the following indicators: average daily gain of live weight during control fattening, kg, age of live weight 100 kg, days, fat thickness at 6-7 thoracic vertebrae, mm, length of chilled carcasses, sm (Berezovsky, Khatko, 2005).
Complex evaluation of young pigs for fattening and meat qualities was performed according to the SI4 selection index (Bazhov, Komlatsky, 1989) and the Sazer-Fredin index (quoted in Kozlovsky, 1982). Economic efficiency of research results (Method of determining economic efficiency…, 1983) and biometric processing of the obtained data (Lakin, 1990) were carried out according to generally accepted methods.
It was found that young pigs of Large White breed of the controlled population at the age of 100 kg exceed the minimum requirements of the elite class by 6.31%, the thickness of the fat at the level of 6-7 thoracic vertebrae – 32.25% and the length of the chilled carcass – 3.92 %. A significant difference between animals of different interbreed differentiation according to the selection index SI4 (groups I and III) was established by the average daily gain of live weight during the control fattening period (91.7 g; td = 9.28; P <0.001), age of 100 kg live weight (7.3 days; td = 4.42; P <0.001), fat thickness at the level of 6-7 thoracic vertebrae (3.4 mm; td = 6.07; P <0.001), the length of the cooled carcass (1.7 cm; td = 3.54; P <0.01), the length of the bacon half of the cooled carcass (2.7 cm; td = 3.64; P <0.01). Taking into account the interbreed differentiation according to the Sazer-Fredin index, it was found that young pigs of group II outperformed peers of I on average daily live weight gain for the period of control fattening by 4.03%, age of 100 kg – 3.67% and length of the chilled carcass – 0.2%.
The pairwise correlation coefficient between fattening and meat qualities of young pigs and evaluation indices ranges from -0.760 (tr = 12.86) to +0.748 (tr = 12.14). The maximum increase in additional products was obtained from young pigs of the I experimental group according to the selection index SI4 (+4.88%) and the second experimental group according to the Sazer-Fredin index (+1.12%), and its value is +240.54 and +55.42 UAN/head respectively.
- Strel’cov, V. A., Rjabicheva, A. E., & Lavrov, V. V. (2018). Otkormochnye i mjaso- sal’nye kachestva molodnjaka svinej v zavisimosti ot genotipa hrjakov [Fattening and meat-and-fat qualities of young pigs depending on the genotype of boars]. Zootekhniya, 9, 23−26 [in Russian].
- Khalak, V. I., Cherniavskyi, S. Ye., Voloshchuk, V. M., Pocherniaiev, K. F., & Ilchenko, M. O. (2019). Vidhodivelni ta miasni yakosti molodniaku svynei riznykh henotypiv za SNP c.1426 G>A hena retseptoru melanokortynu 4 (MC4R) ta za umov yikh rozpodilu za deiakymy oznakamy [Fattening and meat qualities of young pigs of different genotypes according to SNP c.1426 G> A gene melanocortin 4 receptor (MC4R) and under conditions of their distribution on some grounds]. Svynarstvo [Swine breeding]. Poltava, 73, 157−165 [in Ukrainian].
- Khalak, V., Gutyj, B., Bordun, O., Ilchenko, M., & Horchanok, A. (2020). Effect of blood serum enzymes on meat qualities of piglet productivity. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 10(1), 158−161.
- Loban, N. A. (2014). Sistema selektsionno-geneticheskikh metodov otsenki otkormochnykh i myasnykh kachestv sviney [System of selection and genetic methods for assessing fattening and meat qualities of pigs]. Svynarstvo [Swine breeding]. Poltava, 65, 69−75 [in Russian].
- Tserenyuk, O. M. (2018). Henetychnyy potentsial produktyvnosti svyney porid uelʹs ta landras za vidhodivelʹnymy yakostyamy [Genetic potential of productivity of pigs of Welsh and Landrace breeds by fattening qualities]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN [The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine]. Kharkiv, 120, 160−167 [in Ukrainian].
- Khramkova, O. M. (2021). Hospodarsko-biolohichni osoblyvosti, adaptatsiyni vlastyvosti svyney irlandskoho pokhodzhennya ta yikh vykorystannya za riznykh metodiv rozvedennya [Economic and biological features, adaptive properties of pigs of Irish origin and their use in different breeding methods]. (Candidate’s thesis). Mykolayiv: Mykolayiv National Agricultural University [in Ukrainian].
- Luhovyi, S. I. (2018). Metodolohiia analizu henofondu chystoporodnykh i pomisnykh svynei ta formuvannia yikh produktyvnosti na osnovi DNK-markeriv [Methodology of gene pool analysis of purebred and local pigs and the formation of their productivity on the basis of DNA markers]. Mykolayiv: Mykolayiv National Agricultural University [in Ukrainian].
- Khvatova, M. A. (2012). Prohnozuvannia efektu heterozysu za kombinatsiinoiu zdatnistiu porodno-liniinykh poiednan svynei [Prediction of the effect of heterosis on the combinatorial ability of breed-linear combinations of pigs]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN [The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine]. Kharkiv, 107, 148−153 [in Ukrainian].
- Sheiko, I., Khochenkov, A., Khodosovskyi, D., & Sheiko, R. (2004). Uluchsheniye otkormochnykh i myasnykh kachestv sviney v usloviyakh promyshlennoy tekhnologii [Improvement of fattening and meat qualities of pigs in terms of industrial technology]. Svinovodstvo [Pig breeding]. Poltava, 6, 12−14 [in Russian].
- Susol, R. L. (2013). Produktyvnist svynei velykoi biloi porody z pokrashchenymy miasnymy yakostiamy z urakhuvanniam DNK-markeriv. [Productivity of large white pigs with improved meat qualities, taking into account DNA markers]. Naukovyy visnyk «Askaniya-Nova» [Scientific Bulletin «Askania-Nova»], 6, 229−235 [in Ukrainian].
- Hryshyna, L. P., & Fesenko, O. H. (2015). Efektyvnist vykorystannya spetsializovanoho typu svyney za skhreshchuvannya ta hibrydyzatsiyi [The effectiveness of the specialized type of pigs for crossbreeding and hybridization]. Visnyk ahrarnoyi nauky Prychornomorya [Ukrainian Black Sea region agrarian Science]. Mykolayiv, 2(84), 2, 40−47 [in Ukrainian].
- Vashchenko, P. A. (2019). Prohnozuvannya pleminnoyi tsinnosti svyney na osnovi liniynykh modeley selektsiynykh indeksiv ta DNK-markeriv [Prediction of breeding value of pigs on the basis of linear models of selection indices and DNA markers]. (Candidate’s thesis). Mykolaiv [in Ukrainian].
- Speed, D., & Balding, D. J. (2014). MultiBLUP: improved SNP-based prediction for complex traits. Genome research, 24(9), 1550−1557.
- Berezovskyi, M. D., & Khatko, I. V. (2005). Metodyky otsinky knuriv i svynomatok za yakistiu potomstva v umovakh pleminnykh zavodiv i pleminnykh reproduktoriv [Methods of assessment of boars and sows by the quality of offspring in the conditions of breeding plants and breeding breeders]. In Suchasni metodyky doslidzhen’ u svynarstvi [Modern research methods in pig breeding]. Poltava, 32–37 [in Ukrainian].
- Bazhov, G. M., & Komlackij, V. I. (1989). Biotehnologija intensivnogo svinovodstva [Intensive pig farming biotechnology]. Moscow: Rosagropromizdat [in Russian].
- Kozlovskyi V. H., Lebedev Yu. V., Medvedev V. A., & Huch F. A. (1982). Plemennoye delo v svinovodstve [Breeding in pig breeding] Moscow: Kolos [in Russian].
- Metodika opredelenija jekonomicheskoj jeffektivnosti ispolzovanija v selskom hozjajstve rezultatov nauchno-issledovatelskih rabot, novoj tehnologii, izobretenij i racionalizatorskih predlozhenij [Methodology for determining the economic efficiency of the use in agriculture of the results of scientific research, new technology, inventions and rationalization proposals] (1983). Moscow: VAIIPI [in Russian].
- Lakin, G. F. (1990). Biometrija [Biometrics]. Moscow: Vysshaja shkola [in Russian].