Keywords: pigs, Duroc breed, breeding methods, weight conditions, fattening, meat quality parameters
Pork production today is based on intensive management of the industry and quality improvement of breeds. In our country, there are changes in the breed structure in the direction of the predominant focus on breeds of meat productivity. In this regard, an important place is given to pigs of the Duroc breed, which have been used in Ukraine for a long time. Numerous studies have shown that under the same conditions of feeding, keeping fattening and meat qualities of pigs of different breeds and interbreed combinations at different weight conditions are not the same. The purpose of the work is to study the fattening and meat qualities of the intra-breed type of Duroc pigs of the Ukrainian selection «Stepovy» (DUSS) with different methods of breeding during fattening to high weight conditions. The study of fattening and meat qualities of pigs of interbreed type «Stepovy», Large White foreign (LW (FS)) and Landrace of French (L (FS)) selection took place in the conditions of SVC «Agrofirm «Mig-Service-Agro» of the Mykolaiv region. A comparative assessment of fattening and meat qualities of young animals of the following combinations: I – DUSS×♂DUSS – control group, II – ♀LW(ZS)×♂DUSS, III – ♀DUSS×♂LW(ZS), IV – ♀L(FS)×♂DUSS, V – ♀DUSS×♂L(FS) – experimental groups, when animals reach a live weight of 100, 120 and 140 kg. The highest fattening rates for three variants of fattening had young animals obtained from a combination of sows of the interbreed type «Stepovy» with boars of the Landrace breed. The expediency of fattening these pigs to high weight conditions was noted, as they maintained a high growth rate during fattening to a live weight of 140 kg. The greatest value of the complex index of fattening and meat qualities had animals of the V experimental group in the range of 211.9-203.6. When the animals reached a live weight of 100-140 kg, the lowest value of this indicator was characterized by animals of the II experimental group. It was found that the relative rate of meat yield at the slaughter of 100-140 kg was different and depended on the genotype of the animals and was in terms of groups – 64.12–53.81 %. After the meat came out of the carcass, purebred animals of the interbreed type of the Duroc breed of the Ukrainian selection «Stepovy» (I control group), local young growth of a combination ♀DUSS×♂L(FS) were better, at them at slaughter in 100–140 kg relative exit m was: 63.90–56.14 % and 64.12–57.53 %, respectively.
- Babenko, (2021). Svynarstvo 2021 – prohraty ne mozhna vyhraty [Pig farming 2021 – you can’t win to lose]. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: https://agronews.ua/news/stalo-vidomo-chomu-ukrainski-svynari-prohraiut-na-svitovomu-rynku/ [in Ukrainian].
- Topikha, V. S., Volkov, A. A., Lykhach, V. Ya., Ivanov, S. S., Lykhach, V., Hnatiuk, S. A., & Trybrat, R. O. (2020). Vnutrishnoporodnyi typ svynei porody diurok ukrainskoi selektsii «Stepovyi» [Intra-breed type of Duroc pigs of the Ukrainian selection «Stepoviy»: monograph]. Kyiv : FOP Yamchynskyi O. V. [in Ukrainian].
- Hnatiuk, S. A. (2015). Rezultaty i perspektyvy roboty hospodarstv korporatsii «Tvarynprom». [Results and prospects of work of farms of corporation «Tvarinprom»]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria. Mykolaiv, 2(84), 15–22 [in Ukrainian].
- Konovalov, I. V. (2011). Adaptatsiini ta produktyvni yakosti svynei porody landras v umovakh promyslovoi tekhnolohii [Adaptive and productive qualities of Landrace pigs in the conditions of industrial technology]. (Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis). Mykolaiv [in Ukrainian].
- Lykhach, V. Ya. (2016). Obgruntuvannia, rozrobka ta vprovadzhennia intensyvno-tekhnolohichnykh rishen u svynarstvi [Substantiation, development and implementation of intensive technological solutions in pig breeding]. Mykolaiv : MNAU [in Ukrainian].
- Topikha, V. S., Trybrat, R. O., Luhovyi, S. I., Lykhach, V. Ya. & Volkov, V. A. (2008). Miasni henotypy svynei pivdennoho rehionu Ukrainy. [Meat genotypes of pigs in the southern region of Ukraine]. Mykolaiv : MDAU [in Ukrainian].
- Ibatullin, I. I. (Ed.), & Zhukorskyi, O. M. (Ed.) (2017). Metodolohiia ta orhanizatsiia naukovykh doslidzhen u tvarynnytstvi [Methodology and organization of scientific research in animal husbandry: a tool]. Kyiv : Ahrarna nauka [in Ukrainian].
- Kalashnykova, A. P. (Ed.), Fysynyna, V. Y. (Ed.), & Shchehlova, V. V. (Ed.), Kleimenova, N. Y. (Ed.) (2003). Normy i raciony kormlenija sel’skohozjajstvennyh zhivotnyh [Standards and rations for feeding farm animals]. Moscow [in Russian].
- Povod, M. H. (2014). Vplyv tekhnolohichnykh osoblyvostei na vidhodivelni pokaznyky svynei [Influence of technological features on fattening indicators of pigs]. Visnyk Sumskoho natsionalnoho ahrarnoho universytetu. Seriia : Tvarynnytstvo – Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University. Series : Livestock. Sumy, 2(25), 30–36 [in Ukrainian].
- Voloshchuk, V. M., Rybalko, V. P., & Berezovskyi, M. D. еt all. (2014). Svynarstvo [Pig breeding]. Kyiv : Ahrarna nauka [in Ukrainian].
- Rybalko, V. P., Berezovskyi, M. D., & Bohdanov, H. A. (2005). Suchasni metodyky doslidzhen u svynarstvi [Modern research methods in pig breeding]. Poltava [in Ukrainian].
- Topikha, V. S., Lykhach, V. Ya., & Kish, S. V. (2014). Rezultaty pleminnoi roboty z vnutrishnoporidnym typom svynei porody diurok ukrainskoi selektsii «Stepovyi» v umovakh PAT «Plemzavod «Stepnoi» Zaporizkoi oblasti. [The results of breeding work with intrabreed type of pigs of the Duroc breed of Ukrainian selection «Stepovy» in the conditions of PJSC «Stepnoy» of Zaporozhye region]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky Prychornomoria – Ukrainian Black Sea region agrarian science. Mykolaiv : MNAU, 3,(2), 158–167 [in Ukrainian].
- Khalak, V. I., Hutyi, B. V., & Stadnytska, O. I. (2019). Vidhodivelni ta miasni yakosti molodniaku svynei riznoho pokhodzhennia ta intensyvnosti formuvannia u rannomu ontohenezi [Feeding and meat qualities of young pigs of different origin and intensity of formation in early ontogenesis.]. Naukovyi visnyk LNUVMB imeni S. Gzhytskoho. Seriia : Silskohospodarski nauky – Scientific Bulletin of Lviv University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology named after S. Z. Gzhytsky. Series: Agricultural Sciences. Lviv, 21(91), 10–15 [in Ukrainian].
- Lykhach, V., Lykhach, A., Duczmal, M., Janicki, M., Ohiienko, M., Obozna, A., Kucher, O., & Faustov, R. (2020). Management of innovative technologies creation of bio-products. Opole-Kyiv.