Keywords: feeding, efficiency, feed, breed, milk productivity
In recent decades, Ukraine has undergone significant changes in the breed composition of cattle. The study aimed to study the effectiveness of the use of feed by dairy cows of Simmental and Holstein breeds.
The research was conducted in PE «Kalynsky Klyuch» p. Kalyna Kamyanets, Podilskyi district, Khmelnytsky region. A scientific and economic experiment was conducted on two groups of dairy cows according to the methods generally accepted in zootechnics.
Analyzing the supply of dairy cows with nutrients, it should be noted that the animals of both experimental groups with a surplus were provided with dry matter – by 6.7-8.8% of demand, metabolic energy – by 1.5-2.9%, starch – by 12.9-32.6%, while deficient in fiber – in the range of 5.6-10.6%, crude fat –2.5-16.6% and digestible protein – 2.5-4.0%. Of the mineral elements, 37.6-39.1% of phosphorus, 4.4-23.4% of copper, 41.2-47.5% of zinc, 49.1-61.4% of cobalt and 42.5-58.1% iodine. There was an excess of such elements as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, iron. Thus, the feeding of experimental animals on the main indicators provided their needs according to modern detailed standards.
During the experimental period, the milk yield per cow in the first group was 4783.25 kg, while in the experimental group – 4924.79 or 3.0% more (p<0.95), with an average daily milk yield of Simmental cows at the level of 15.63 kg, and Holstein – 16.09 kg. The fat content in the milk of cows of the first group averaged 3.75% during lactation, which is less than in animals of the second group by 0.56% (p>0.95), while the protein concentration in animals of the Simmental breed was at the level 3.07%, and Holstein – lost to them only 0.02% without a significant difference.
Thus, Holstein animals, although with little advantage, used energy and feed nutrients more efficiently than Simmental peers.
- Viktorov, P. I. (1991). Metodika i organizacija zootehnicheskih opytov [Methodology and organization of zootechnical experiments]. Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Ukrainian].
- Henetyka yak instrument vplyvu na efektyvnist i sobivartist vyrobnytstva moloka [Genetics as a tool to influence the efficiency and cost of milk production] (2017). Moloko i ferma, 1 (38). Retrieved from http://magazine.milkua.info/indexukr.php?id=232 [in Ukrainian].
- Zubets, M. V. ta in. (2003). Dopovid pro stan henetychnykh resursiv tvarynnytstva Ukrainy [Report on the state of genetic resources of animal husbandry in Ukraine]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Era transformatsii molochnoho sektora Ukrainy tryvaie [The era of transformation of the dairy sector of Ukraine continues] (2021). Moloko i ferma, 4(64). Retrieved from http://magazine.milkua.info/indexukr.php?id=316 [in Ukrainian].
- Yefimenko, M. Ya. (1996). Ukrainska chorno-riaba molochna [Ukrainian black-and-white dairy]. Tvarynnytstvo Ukrainy, 1, 7–8 [in Ukrainian].
- Merkur’eva, E. K. (1963). Osnovy biometrii [Basics of biometrics]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo MGU [in Russian].
- Piskun, V. I., Osypenko, T. L., & Sikun, M. V. (2018). Otsinka tekhnolohii vyrobnytstva moloka za vykydamy parnykovykh haziv [Estimation of milk production technologies by greenhouse gas emissions]. Ahroekolohichnyi zhurnal, 4, 68–71 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Danshyn, V. O., & Fedota, O. M. (2016) Svitovyi dosvid ta perspektyvy vykorystannia henomnoi selektsii v molochnomu skotarstvi [World experience and prospects of using genomic selection in dairy farming]. Biolohiia tvaryn [Animal biology]. Lviv, 18(1), 117–128 [in Ukrainian].
- Ruban, S. Yu., Borshch, O. V., Borshch, O. O., Klochkov, V. M., Lysenko, Ye. V., Mitiohlo, L. V., Mitiohlo, I. D. & Perekrestova, A. V. (2017). Suchasni tekhnolohii vyrobnytstva moloka (osoblyvosti ekspluatatsii, tekhnolohichni rishennia, eskizni proekty) [Modern technologies of milk production (features of operation, technological decisions, sketch projects)] Kharkiv: FOP Brovin [in Ukrainian]
- Savchuk, O. V., & Buchkovskaja, V. I. (2011) Konversija proteina i energii korma v belok i energiju rosta molodnjaka molochnyh porod Ukrainy [Conversion of protein and feed energy into protein and energy of growth of young dairy breeds of Ukraine]. Povyshenie intensivnosti i konkurentosposobnosti otraslej zhivotnovodstva [Increasing the intensity and competitiveness of livestock industries: Abstracts of Papers of the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conference. Zhodino, 2, 148–150 [in Rusian].
- Borshch, O. O., Borshch, O. V., Kosior, L. T., Pirova, L. V., & Lastovska, I. O. (2017). Influence of various litter materials and premises characteristics on the comfort and behavior of cows. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 7(4), 529–535. doi: 10.15421/2017_156
- Coffey, E. L., Horan, B., Evans, R. D., & Berry, D. P. (2016) Milk Production and Fertility Performance of Holstein, Friesian, and Jersey Purebred Cows and Their Respective Crosses in Seasonal-Calving Commercial Farms. Journal of Dairy Science, 99(7), 713–714.