Keywords: horses, Orlov’s Trotter breed, breeding mares, genealogical combinations, lines, maternal families, generation, selection traits
The object of research was the Ukrainian massif of breeding mares of the Orlov’s Trotter, registered on January 1, 2022 (n=194). The 75.1% (145 mares) of all breeding mares were tested on hippodromes. It was determined that there were low-level negative correlations between mares’ agility indicators and body measurements. However, positive relations were established analyzing the correlations between the record agility and the measurements of the mares of different studs.
It was determined that mares tested at the Kyiv Hippodrome with a high probability (p>0.95-0.99) prevailed in terms of agility of herdmates tested at the Odessa Hippodrome, both in terms of record agility and agility revealed in all age periods.
There were found 299 Orlov’s Trotters of the 2.10 min agility class and more lively, of which 25 horses entered the 2.05 min and faster, 2 horses – to class 2.00 min and faster during the selection period from 2001 to 2021. It was determined that mares of the Orlov’s Trotters of the Ukrainian population of the agility class of 2.05 min were not found to be faster, the fastest mare in the modern reproductive composition is Antalya 2.05,7, gray, 2014 (Aphorism – Artistka) of the Dibrivsky stud. Of all tested mares, only 13.8% have a high class of agility 2.10 min faster. The predominant number of mare’s agility class’s 2.10.1-2.15.0 min (31.1%) 2.15.1-2.20 min (24.1%).
Based on the analysis of pedigrees, it was determined that the domestic population of the Orlov’s Trotter is structured according to 8 genealogical lines and 32 maternal families. The most developed region in terms of both stallions and mares is Barchuk-Zapad line (40.6 and 31.4%, respectively).
The largest number of tested mares comes from the breeding line Barchuk-Zadap and Pion lines. The highest record agility for the distance of 1600 m belongs to mares Voin (136.6±1.75 s), Barchuk (136.8±1.25 s), Ispolnitielny (137.3±4.19 s), Boltik (137.6 ±5.11 s) and Pilot (137.7±2.44 s) lines. The most precocious (the fastest in a 2-year-old mare) are Ispolnitielnyi (145.7±3.78 s), Barchuk (147.3±1.27 s), Barchuk-Zapad (147.8±1.45 s) lines.
The 53 genealogical combinations were recorded in the studied array of mares. The most numerous interlineal combinations were Pion × Pion (13 mares), Barchuk × Zapad (taking into account that the Zapad branch originates from the Barchuk line) (9 mares), as well as crosses Zapad × Pion (10 mares) and Zapad × Ispolnitielny (9 mares). In terms of record agility, there prevailed mares obtained from crosses Voin × Pion (134.1±3.07 s), Ispolnitielnyi × Zapad (134.6±3.89 s), Pilot × Pion (134.8±4.76 s). Thus, these combinations are the most effective in selecting parental pairs to obtain the fastest mares for the reproductive population.
- Hopka, B. M., Skotsyk V. Ye., & Zlamaniuk L. M. (2018). Suchasne i maibutnie orlovskoho rysaka [Present and future of the Orlov’s Trotter]. Naukovyi visnyk NUBiP. Seriia «Tekhnolohiia vyrobnytstva i pererobky produktsii tvarynnytstva». 114, 99–107 [in Ukranian].
- Hopka, B. M., & Skotsyk, V. E. (2018). .Henealohyia orlovskykh rysakov klassa 2.05 [Genealogy of Orlov’s trotters of class 2.05]. Kyiv : Vipol. 400 [in Ukranian].
- Larina N. O. (2006). Poiednuvanist linii v orlovskii rysystii porodi konei [The compatibility of lines in the Oryol constitutive breed of horses]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN. Kharkiv, 92. 54–57. [in Ukranian]
- Hopka, B. M., & Tkachuk, V. M. (2018). Zhvavist i skorospilist orlovskykh rysakiv [Speed and precocity of the Orel Trotters]. Suchasnyi stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku ahrarnoho sektoru Ukrainy. Zb. naukovykh prats. Nizhyn. 10, 32–37 [in Ukranian].
- Hlushak, I. I. (2005). Kharakterystyka zherebtsiv-plidnykiv orlovskoi porody za henotypom ta robotozdatnistiu. [Characteristics of breeding stallions of the Orlov’s breed by genotype and working capacity]. Mat. II Vseukr. nauk.-prakt. konf. «Hodivlia konei. Suchasnyi stan haluzi. Problemy ta perspektyvy» (Dnipropetrovsk, 10-11 bereznia 2005 r.). Dnipropetrovskyi derzhavnyi ahrarnyi universytet – Instytut tvarynnytstva NAAN. 87-93. [in Ukranian].
- Sobol, O. M. (1993). Yspolzovanye henetycheskykh pokazatelei rezvosty loshadei orlovskoi risystoi porody v plemennoi rabote [The use of genetic indicators of agility of horses of the Oryol trotting breed in breeding work]. (Candidate’s thesis). Kharkiv, 190. [in Russian].
- Tkachova, І. V., & Frolova, G. O. (2020). Genealogіchnі lіnії v orlovs’kіj risistіj porodі ukraїns’koї chastini populyacіyi [Genealogical lines in the Orlov’s Trotter of the Ukrainian part of the population]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science of the National Academy of Agrarian Science of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 123. 184-193. DOI 10.32900/2312-8402-2020-123-184-193. [in Ukranian].
- Burenko, A. V. (2019). Efektyvnist pidboriv batkivskykh par pry otrymanni orlovskykh rysakiv klasu 2.05 i zhvavishe za kompleksom selektsiinykh oznak [The effectiveness of selection of parent pairs in obtaining Oryol trotters of class 2.05 and more lively according to a complex of selection traits. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science of the National Academy of Agrarian Science of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 122. 60-73. [in Ukranian].
- Skotsyk, V. Ye. (1998). Selektsiino-henetychni faktory formuvannia vysokoi zhvavosti konei rysystoi porody [Selection and genetic factors of formation of high livelness of horses of the trotting breed]: (Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis). 23. [in Ukranian].
- Burenko, A. V. (2018). Inbrydynh u rodovodakh orlovskykh rysakiv klasu 2.05 [Inbreeding in the Orlov Trotter’s bloodlines (class 2.05)]. Tavriiskyi naukovyi visnyk. № 100. T. 1. 141-149. [in Ukranian].
- Baranovskyi, D.I., Brahinets. O. M., & Khokhlov. A. M. (2017). Biometriia v prohramnomu seredovyshchi MS Excel: navchalnyi posibnyk. [Biometrics in the MS Excel software environment]. Kharkіv: SPD FO Brovin O. V. 90. [in Ukranian].