Keywords: cows, heifers of different age, signs of sexual activity, time of the day
The article reveals the feasibility of organizing and conducting the selection of cows and heifers by sexual activity for artificial insemination day and night. Revealed for three months in females (n=717): in 600 signs of sexual activity in 0,70 %, 700-19,94 %; 800– 19,25 %; 900 – 9,21 %; from 1000-1200-14.78 %; from 1300-1400– 4.32 %; from 1500-1600-15.2 %; from 1700-1900 – 9,76 %; 2000-6,83 %. It was revealed that most animals had sexual activity in the morning (49.10 %).
In August, 213 heads were studied, of which the signs of sexual activity in 600 had 2.35 %; in 700-14.08 %; in 800 – 11.74 %; in 900 – 8.45; in 1000 decreased to 3.29 %, in 1400 – an increase to 11.74 %; in 1600 – 12.68 %; in 1800 – 13.15% and 2000 – 22.54 %. Round-the-clock monitoring revealed a state of libido, for a period of 0000-400 hours morning 25,00 %, 400-800 – 18,27 %, 800-1200 – 17,34 %, 1200-1600 – 20,19 %, 1600-2000 – 4,81 %, 2000-2400 – 14,42 %. Of the 104 cows identified in the hunt, 62.5 % showed sexual activity in the period from 2000 to 800, and only 37.5 % of cows in the hunt were detected during the working hours of the artificial insemination operator. Also, from 22 heifers, 40.9 % showed signs of sexual activity in the period from 2000 to 800, and 59.09 % showed signs of sexual activity during working hours. Therefore, given the acceleration of physiological processes in the warm season, there are prerequisites for reducing the efficiency of the operator.
In September (an hour later), it was revealed in females (n=270): in 700 – 18.89 %, in 800 – 21.85 %; before 900 there was a decrease to 1000 %; and by 1000 hours – a rapid increase to 27.04 %; by 1400, a decrease to 1.85 %; from 1600 to 2000 – 12.96, 7.04 and 0.37 %, respectively. In October, out of 234 animals in 700, 26.50 % of females showed signs of sexual activity, which is 7.60 more than in September and 12.42 % more than in August; in 800 – 23.08 %; in 900-8.97 %; in 1000, a slight increase to 11.11 % was observed, by 1400 – a decrease to 0.43 % (similar to the previous month); in 1600, 20.09 % were detected, in 1800 – 9.83 %.
So, during the daylight hours, cows and heifers show signs of sexual activity not evenly: the first wave of excitement begins with a sunrise and lasts 4-6 hours, the second begins at 1400-1600 and continues until sunset.
The data obtained indicate that it is advisable to identify cow’s sexual activity both during the day and at night. Such studies should be carried out depending on the time of year: the length of daylight and the temperature of the environment. The conducted research can serve as a basis for compiling the multiplicity of detection of cow’s sexual activity during the day and the mode of their detection libido during working shifts by artificial insemination operators, their assistants and other workers.
- Bugrov, A. D. (2010). Kriopovrezhdeniya i kriozashchita spermiev bykov pri glubokom zamorazhivanii [Cryo-damage and cryoprotection of bull sperm during deep freezing]. Kharkiv : Institut of Animal Science NAAS [in Russian].
- Volkov, S., & Lotockij, V. (2012). Vyyavlenie optimal’nogo vremeni ohoty i prognozirovanie oplodovoryaemosti korov [Identification of optimal sexual activity time and prediction of cow fertilization]. Moloko i ferma – Milk and farm, 4. Retrivied from : http://magazine.milkua.info/indexukr.php?id=76 [in Russian].
- Kuzebnij, S. V. (2018). Efektyvnist riznykh metodiv vyiavlennia ta stymuliatsii statevoi okhoty u koriv [The effectiveness of different methods for the detection and stimulation of the estrus in cows]. Rozvedennia i henetyka tvaryn – Breeding and genetics of animals. Kyiv, 56, 120–129 [in Ukrainian].
- Shahova, Y. Y., Shablya, V. P., & Tkachov, A. V. (2020). Efektyvnist pershoho osimeninnia pislia otelennia [Effectiveness of the first insemination after calving]. The 7th International scientific and practical conference “Scientific achievements of modern society” (March 4-6, 2020) Cognum Publishing House, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 2020. P.1016 [in Ukrainian].
- Sreenan, J., & Diskin M. (1996). Embryo mortality: the major cause of reproductive wastage in cattle. Book of Abst. of the 47th Ann. Meet, of the Eur. Ass. for Anim. Prod. Norway, 157.
- Bondar’, A. A. (1990). Іspol’zovanie pokazatelej povedeniya zhivotnyh dlya sovershenstvovaniya tekhnologii soderzhaniya molochnogo skota [Using animal behavior indicators to improve the technology of keeping dairy cattle]. Candidate’s thesis. Kharkov [in Russian].
- Nauk, A. V., Puzyna, G. I., & Bril’, E. E. (1991). Soderzhanie gormonov i vosproizvoditel’naya sposobnost’ korov vysokoj molochnoj produktivnostі [Hormone content and reproductive capacity of cows of high milk productivity]. Sel’skohozyajstvennaya biologiya – Agricultural biology, 4, 66 [in Russian].
- Bugrov, A. D., Medvedovskij A. V., & Subbota A. V. (2005). Vyyavlenie korov i telok v ohote [Identification of cows and heifers in sexual activity]. Khar’kov : Institut of Animal Science NAAS [in Russian].
- Buhrov, O. D., Shakhova, Yu. Yu., Kryshtal, O. M. (2015). Vplyv intervalu mizh osimeninniamy na vidtvornu zdatnist koriv ta telyts [Influence of the interval between inseminations on the reproducibility of cows and heifers]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu tvarynnytstva NAAN – The Scientific and Technical Bulletin of the Institute of Animal Science NAAS of Ukraine. Kharkiv, 113, 58-65 [in Ukrainian].
- Shahova, Yu. Yu. (2015). Statevyi tsykl u koriv ta telyts. [Sexual cycle in cows and heifers]. Problemy zooinzhenerii ta veterynarnoi medytsyny. Kharkiv, 30(1), 202-207 [in Ukrainian].
- Burkat, V. P., Vlizlo, V. V., Kravtsiv, R. Y., & Shalovylo S. H. (2004). Dovidnyk z reproduktyvnoi biotekhnolohii velykoi rohatoi khudoby [Handbook of bovine reproductive biotechnology]. Lvіv [in Ukrainian].