Keywords: horses, working-use horse breeding, measurements, body indices, intensity of use, horse-days, correlation
The article presents the results of a study of the condition and ways of enhancement the horse breeding system in the working -use direction of the Kherson region. For evaluation the number of horses’ dynamics in the region, changes in the number of animals of other branches were studied. The onlybranch that showed a positive trend is poultry – the livestock increased by 63.9%. The horse breeding branch suffered the greatest losses (94.0%). In addition to horse breeding, adverse conditions were noted for the development of sheep husbandryand goat husbandry, where the livestock reduction was 92.9%. Slightly smaller losses, 84.4 and 78.0%, respectively, were noted for the cattle breeding and pig breeding branches.
As of 1.01. 2018, the number of horses in the region was 0.8 thousand heads or 6.03% of the required. The problem of horse breeding in the region is the lack of pedigree resources: only 4.38% of the available stock had documented data on the origin, the most represented breeds were Shetland pony (34.3%), horses of Western European sport breeds (25.7) and Ukrainian ride horse (20.0%), stallions of trotter and heavy breed breeds for improving horses of local breeding were not identified.
In the absence of use of sires of breeds – improvers, the studied population was small, the average measurements of mares were 149.3 – 150.8 – 170.2 – 18.1 cm, geldings 150.8 – 151.0 – 171.3 – 18, 3 cm. The horses had an underdeveloped skeleton (metacarpal index 12.1 … 12.2), an almost square format (index 99.2 … 100.5) and a relatively small chest circumference (chest index 113.7 … .114.0), a small live weight of 402.4 and 409.8 kg. The use of horses was not effective enough, the working time fund was underutilized by 10.62 … 27.84%. Reliable indicators of the relationship with the intensity of use for all measurements, especially for height at the withers (0.641 … .0.683), chest girth (0.314 … 0.697), were revealed. The highest coefficients were obtained for the indicator of live weight (0.212 … 0.755).
Based on the foregoing, the main way to enhancement working – user horse breeding in the region is to improve horses in the direction of increasing their height at the withers and live weight through the use of stallions – producers of improving breeds.
- Ispol’zovaniye rabochikh loshadey [Using work horses]. Retrieved from cjzone.ru/ loshad/ ispolzovanie-rabochix-loshadej [in Russian].
- Koveshnikov, S. (1991). Puti razvitiya massovogo konevodstva [Ways of development of mass horse breeding]. Konevodstvo i konnyy sport – Horse breeding and equestrian sport, 4, 2–3 [in Russian].
- Timchenko, M. (2004). Rol’ konevodstva v ekonomicheskom polozhenii sel’skogo naseleniya [The role of horse breeding in the economic situation of the rural population] Konevodstvo i konnyy sport – Horse breeding and equestrian sport, 6, 2–6 [in Russian].
- Svechin, B., Bobylev, I. F., & Gopka, B. M. (1992). Konevodstvo – Horse breeding. Moskva : Kolos [in Russian].
- Tkachova, I. V. (2018). Chystoporodne rozvedennya koney v umovakh obmezhenoho henofondu [Purebred breeding of horses in a restricted gene pool]. Scientific and Information Bulletin of the Faculty of Biology and Technology DVNZ «Xersons`ky`j derzhavny`j agrarny`j universy`tet – Scientific-informative bulletin of the Faculty of Biology and Technology of the Kherson State Agrarian University. Kherson : Kolos, 11, 66–73 [in Ukrainian].
- Hopka, B. M., Kalantar, O. A., & Pavlenko, P. M. (1989) Koni v sil’s’komu hospodarstvi [Horses in agriculture]. Kyiv: Urozhay, 152 р. [in Ukrainian].
- Sobol’, O. M. (2014). Rabochiye kachestva loshadey raznogo proiskhozhdeniya v usloviyakh fermerskikh i krest’yanskikh khozyaystv Bliznetsovskogo rayona Khar’kovskoy oblasti [The working qualities of horses of different origin in the conditions of farm and peasant farms of the Bliznetsovsky district of Kharkov region]. Naukovo-texnichny`j byuleten` Insty`tutu tvary`nny`cztva NAAN – Scientific – technical Bulletin’ – Kharkіv: Institute of Animal Science NAAS, 111, 201–207 [in Russian]
- Posternak, I. (2017). Perspektyvy ta kryteriyi rozvytku haluzi konyarstva v Ukrayini [Prospects and criteria for the development of the equestrian industry in Ukraine]. Ahrarna nauka ta kharchovi tekhnolohiyi – Agrarian science and food technology, 2, 230–236 [in Ukrainian].
- Klimenko, (1993). Ispol’zovanie rysakov kak rabochikh loshadey [The use of trotters as working horses ]. Konevodstvo i konnyy sport – Horse breeding and equestrian sport, 4, 2 [in Russian].
- Novikov, A. (2005). Konevodstvo Ukrainy [Horse breeding of Ukraine] // Materialy II naukovo-praktychnoyi konferentsiyi «Hodivlya koney. Suchasnyy stan haluzi. Problemy ta perspektyvy» – Proceedings of the Second Scientific and Practical Conference «Feeding horses. The current state of the industry. Problems and Prospects» Dnipropetrovsk : Dnipropetrovsk State Agrarian University (рр. 4 – 9) [in Russian].
- Starcheus, P., Onenko, V. I. (2001). Kin’ u prysadybnomu i fermers’komu hospodarstvi [Horse in the peasant and farm]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Tvarynnytstvo Ukrayiny – Livestock of Ukraine: Statystychnyy zbirnyk (2018). Retrieved from ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/kat _u/2018/zb /05/zb_tu2017pdf.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Bukusheva, V. (2015). Statisticheskaya obrabotka dannykh v Gnumeric – Correlation table – Statistical data processing in Gnumeric. Saratov? Retrieved from: https://docplayer.ru/30392009-Statisticheskaya-obrabotka-dannyh-v-gnumeric.html [in Russian].