Keywords: ranking, breeding value index, producing sheep stock, origin, measurements, exterior
One of priority objectives of the State program for development of agriculture and regulation of markets for agricultural product, raw materials and food until 2020 is to provide conditions for accelerated development of livestock production with sheep breeding being its branch. In order to restore the branch, increase production in sheep breeding and improve quality, it is required to carry out the full range of activities prescribed in the above program. Managers of sheep farms, students, practitioners, farmers, and also graduates of higher educational institutions of agricultural profile must possess the most modern practical skills in the field of sheep breeding, methods and techniques of sheep zootechnical evaluation.
Success of breeding work largely depends on the ability to determine the breeding value of animals in the most possible objective way. To obtain competitive sheep of Belarusian generation satisfying the variety of meat-and-wool and wool-and-meat indicators of productivity, selection by set of traits (origin, typicality, measurements, exterior, fertility, offspring quality) is required, which has not been used at breeding enterprises and sheep breeding farms so far.
During transition from score to index assessment in our country, necessity to develop new complexes for assessment of economically useful traits of sheep of semi-fine-wool breeds is dictated by time, and today is highly relevant. New techniques and methods for assessing the breeding value of sheep have not been developed in the republic yet. The authors of the paper propose to consider a separate element of determining the breeding value of sheep of semi-fine-wool breeds due to transition to index assessment, namely, for the first time developed scale for ranking sheep ewes and producing rams in the future, correlated with breeding value indices.
1. Respublikanskaya programma po plemennomu delu v zhivotnovodstve na 2011 – 2015 gg. : Postanovlenie Soveta Ministrov Respubliki Belarus’ – The Republican program on breeding business in animal husbandry for 2011–2015 : Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus of 31.12.2010. Minsk. http://www.mshp.gov.by/documents/plem/programma.pdf [in Russian].
2. Gurevnina, I. V. (2002). Optimizaciya metodov opredeleniya plemennoj cennosti ovec [Optimization of methods of determining the breeding value of the sheep]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Persianovsky. [in Russian].
3. Vineaminov, A. A., & A. M. Zhiryakov (1980). Metodicheskie rekomendacii po izucheniyu produktivnyh i biologicheskih osobennostej ovec malochislennyh porod i grupp – Guidelines for the study of productive and biological characteristics of sheep of small breeds and groups.VNII zhivotnovodstva. Dubovtsy [in Russian].
4. Нerman, Ju. I., & Gorbukov, M. A., Chavlytko, V. I., Rudak, A. N., Нerman, A. I. (2019). Zootehnicheskie pravila ocenki ovec polutonkorunnyh porod – Zootechnical rules for evaluation of semi-fine-wooled sheep breeds. RUE “Scientific and practical center of the national Academy of Sciences of Belarus on animal industries”. Zhodino. [in Russian].
5. Respublikanskaya programma razvitiya ovcevodstva na 2013 – 2015 gg. :Postanovlenie Soveta Ministrov Respubliki Belarus’ ot 20.03.2013 –The Republican program of development of sheep breeding for 2013–2015 :Council of Ministers Of the Republic of Belarus from 20.03.2013, 202. [in Russian].
6. Zootekhnicheskie pravila o poryadke opredeleniya plemennoj cennosti zhivotnyh : Postanovlenie Ministerstva sel’skogo hozyajstva i prodovol’stviya Respubliki Belarus’ ot 30. 11. 2006 – Zootechnical rules on the procedure for determining the breeding value of animals : Ministry Of agriculture and food of the Republic of Belarus, 30. 11. 2006, 81 [in Russian].
7. О plemennom dele v zhivotnovodstve : Zakon Respubliki Belarus’ – Оn breeding in animal husbandry : law of the Republic of Belarus. Registered in the National register of legal acts of the Republic of Belarus 21. 05. 2013, 2/2022 [in Russian].
8. Zavertyaev, B. P. (1983). Kratkij slovar’ selekcionno-geneticheskih terminov v zhivotnovodstve – Short dictionary of selection and genetic terms in animal husbandry. Moscow : Rosselkhoznadzor, 88 [in Russian].
9. Rokickij, P. F. (1973). Biologicheskaya statistika – Biological statistics. 3rd edition. Minsk : Vysheishaya school [in Russian].
10. Larceva, S. H. (1985). Praktikum po genetike– Workshop on genetics. Moscow : Agropromizdat, 49–55 [in Russian].
11. Kening, K., & Gutche, H., Hojrih, H., Kupac, B. (1974). Razvedenie, kormlenie i soderzhanie ovec – Breeding, feeding and keeping sheep. Moscow : Kolos, 133–147 [in Russian].